Should I trust Linux as OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
Hello,

I'm thinking about installing Linux Ubantu on my 2nd comp. It has a Abit KT7A in it with 768 MB and AMD 2200 CPU. May want to play the ocassional games on it. My main question is how much trouble will I have installing drivers and all my old windows games and software? Also which Linux version best suits my comp?

Well the software that comes with most distros it far better than traditional windows software, open office is a much nicer office suite that ms office. Games can be run with a program called wine, as can a few windows programs if it is neccisery.

Ubuntu will suite you needs just fine for the hardware you have.

And linux is a very trustworthy OS it is used for many so called mission critical applications, it domminates the server market and is gaining strength in the home computing world I have been using linux full time for a while now but before that I have been playing around with it since 2000.

As Chris has already said it is a good OS to use. There are few to none viruses written for it so you dont need a virus software nor a dedicated firewall. As most distro come with one that is built in already.

As for Wine he is right there as well.

Wine HQ

That is the main site for Wine. the AppDB is down right now but it can handle more games than even i expected. Check that out when ti comes back to make sure the games you want to run can run and how to go about getting them working.

I agree with everything already said I run ubuntu and runs better then windows and has all the software you need included no weired errors or problems like in windows. Wine is very easy to use in ubuntu you should have no problems if any. Most printer drivers are even bundled in with ubuntu so that makes life easy.

Thanks Guys,

That is another question. My wifes printer is a HP PSC 1300 series any problem getting drivers for this one? How bout Creative Zen MP3 player - Does it have a Photo enhance software with it? Just bought wife a Samsung DC she won't be happy if she can't use it with Linux. What does Wine do? Do you just install it and when ever you go into a game it runs or Do you start Wine then start game? I just can't have the wife complaining because she can't run what she wants to. Then I'm the bad guy that took away Windows. What else should I know about Ubuntu?

Well, Wine is okay. Its okay, not great. That's because windows programs are meant to be run in windows.

There are, however, a number of good linux games.

All of them are free.

Here is a great article: 25 Top 3D Linux Games » Sathya Says

Here are some linux games and screenshots that I play.

Balazar- RPG
balazar24.jpeg

Netpanzer
screenshot63.jpg

AssaultCube- FPS
ac_shot_23.jpg

Open Arena- FPS
open-arena.jpg

Abe- A sidescroller that is oddly fun
game.png

Battle For Wesnoth- Strategy
screenshot.gif

Billard-GL A pool Game
billardgl.jpg

BZflag- An oddly fun tank game. Bad graphics...but it really is fun. Multiplayer with servers is just a riot.
2007-08-24-bzflag.jpg

Chromium- A top shooter like the arcade games of yesteryear ;)
chrom-scr-082900a.jpg

Dreamchess- 3d Chess
media.php

Freeciv- A free remake of Civilization
Freeciv.png

Frozen Bubble- It will waste more time than any game ever. Its oddly, oddly addictive...
frozenbubble.jpg

Glest- I play this one very little, but its said to be great.
glest.jpg

OOlite- A space Game ;)
oolite2.gif

Nexquiz- Another FPS
nexuiz.jpg

Saurbraten- Another FPS
Sauerbraten-MonstersOnTheRoof.jpg

TORCS- 3D Racing
6_shot013.jpg

Super Tux Kart- Kinda Like Super Mario Kart from the SNES
SuperTuxKart2.jpg

Slune- A similar Racing Game
slune2.jpg

Warzone 2100- A tank strategy game
warzone_2100.jpg

Now, as for distros...

I don't reccomend any linux newcomer use anything but Ubuntu. Ubuntu is, really, the end all be all for newbie friendliness. Its not the end all be all for linux like some people think...but its really newbie friendly. The forums have thousands of active users and answers to questions are immediate and there are tutorials for EVERYTHING available out there.

Plus, the ubuntu linux community is very friendly. :D

They'll even MAIL you a free copy of ubuntu. Don't even have to pay shipping.

http://shipit.ubuntu.com/

but its quicker to just download it at Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

I have never had to use my zen on linux yet I have a wireless dock, I charge an upload new files with that.
I haven't used a HP printer with linux as yet I print my stuff off over my network, the only printer brand that i know of that has problems with linux is lexmark sad reely as I love them very cheep ink an affordable quality.

Wine adds a compatibility layer to linux that allows a windows program to run under linux, I havnt had much gaming experiance under linux as I don't game any more but I am getting a hankering to play Fallout tonight ao i might give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom