Random Lockup problems in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

UA_Iron

Daemon Poster
I'm a major newbie when it comes to any Linux/Unix type, so I threw my old hardware together with the intentions of running a Secure Shell-tunnel to hook up to on whatever internet connection I'm on.

I'm getting these random lockups a few minutes into using Ubuntu that I cannot recover from. Check out these pics:

ogcdpf.jpg

s3kcw1.jpg

My hardware is:
Biostar tforce6100-939
AMD64 3700+
2x512 DDR memory (generic)
40gb WD IDE harddrive
IDE CD/DVD writer
Corsair 450w PSU (brand new)

According to this wiki this mobo should be perfectly supported under ubuntu
UbuntuWiki:Biostar Tforce 6100-939 - Ubuntu中文

I'm thinking it may be video driver related - I tried all three of the suggested ones found by ubuntu, and even uninstalled the previous ones. Under XP on this same hardware I have run prime95 with no errors. I have run memtest with no errors.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck could be going on?

To me it looks like a video driver issue, What graphics have you got?

It's integrated into the mobo.

North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100
South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 410

Onboard Video Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6100

Yeah, it definitely looks like a driver issue to me too. Should I download the linux geforce driver appropriate for the card and force ubuntu to use it?

I did download a ***.run file from nvidia, but am kind of clueless on how to execute it in ubuntu.

go through the non free (official nvidia) drivers mate open source is ok for a given value of OK for some things an graphics cards in one of them.

I'm a major newbie when it comes to any Linux/Unix type, so I threw my old hardware together with the intentions of running a Secure Shell-tunnel to hook up to on whatever internet connection I'm on.

I'm getting these random lockups a few minutes into using Ubuntu that I cannot recover from. Check out these pics:

ogcdpf.jpg

s3kcw1.jpg

My hardware is:
Biostar tforce6100-939
AMD64 3700+
2x512 DDR memory (generic)
40gb WD IDE harddrive
IDE CD/DVD writer
Corsair 450w PSU (brand new)

According to this wiki this mobo should be perfectly supported under ubuntu
UbuntuWiki:Biostar Tforce 6100-939 - Ubuntuä¸*æ–‡

I'm thinking it may be video driver related - I tried all three of the suggested ones found by ubuntu, and even uninstalled the previous ones. Under XP on this same hardware I have run prime95 with no errors. I have run memtest with no errors.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck could be going on?

When it starts up you will get an option to go into recovery mode, do that. When you're there you will see an option, I think it's the last one but it's fairly obvious (might be repair xorg or something along those lines).

It's integrated into the mobo.

North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100
South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 410

Onboard Video Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6100

Yeah, it definitely looks like a driver issue to me too. Should I download the linux geforce driver appropriate for the card and force ubuntu to use it?

I did download a ***.run file from nvidia, but am kind of clueless on how to execute it in ubuntu.

There are instructtions on nvidias website as to how to run that file. If you get stuck tell us what stage you get to.

thanks for the help guys. Still havent gotten it. Been battling with it for a while now and it still continues to lock up.

I cannot for the life of me run the .run file that was provided by nvidia. I will keep trying.

Down load the .deb file Ubuntu is based on Debian.

But if this problem continues can i tempt you into trying PCBSD?

Interesting, even with no nvidia drivers installed it still will freeze up like that.

I guess the next test is to see if I can still connect to the SSH that I just setup when it's frozen like that - might narrow things down more.

Will PCBSD offer me anything over Ubuntu?

Try running the XVESA drivers.

Boot into a rescue shell and type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Choose "Vesa" or "Xvesa" as your driver. Vesa is the failsafe video drivers and works on basically every system.

Edit: It seems this method won't work with the new version of X.

I believe you can edit the boot options and add xforcevesa to the end it will work though.

I installed a 7600GS into the rig and ran with the driver just fine.

It hates the onboard video for some reason. It's fine, it fixed my problem

Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom