ATi Radeon Linux Drivers...HORRIBLE MADNESS!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Ok, the "fglrx" drivers in Ubuntu's repositories don't do anything, they don't support AIGLX so no Compiz. So, I downloaded the ones from ATi's site (8.443.1 I think) and run the .run file. It installs them, and then it asks to reboot. PC comes back on, but monitor (Compaq MV720) says:

"OUT OFF RANGE" (Yes, it says "OFF" not "OF")
"H: 31-70KHz"
"V: 50-99Hz"
"PC DISPLAY SETTINGS"
"CORRECT?"

I switched back to VESA to try reinstalling, but finally got the new fglrx up using set modes. However, it refuses to use hardware acceleration, insisting on Mesa Indirect for OpenGL. I've tried reconfiguring xserver-xorg then running aticonfig --initial, adding mode lines (for resolutions) by hand, using ATi Catalyst Control Center, and more...these lame horrible trash drivers just don't want to do anything. What's the best way to get an ATi card working on Linux (X1600Pro)?

Wow ATi's insane. Their garbage drivers messed up my PC so bad that it won't even boot the Ubuntu LiveCD without causing graphics errors and other such nonsense. I can't get a GUI WITH THE LIVE CD! WHAT is up with these broken trash drivers!

I'm trying to get back to VESA so that I can get the liveCD to boot, but I'm trying dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and my mouse wouldn't work. I need to boot the liveCD so I can get to GParted, delete the corrupted partition, and start over.

Have you tried using knoppix Live CD to fix the issue? works the same using QTparted. Maybe the system isn't liking the live CD, Maybe it isn't distigushing the Live CD from the system install? Although I don't see HOW this could happen

Short answer try booting into knoppix or even the Gparted live CD

As for installing an ATI card try this link: How To: Ati (fglrx) + Xgl + Compiz-Fusion on Xubuntu 7.04 - Ubuntu Forums

(supposed to work with ubuntu too)

Hope this helps,

Jake

Is this a common problem with the ATi Radeon Drivers? I had some funky problem with the liveCD on my desktop booted the GUI an then decided to lock up.

The LiveCD worked fine a few days ago, but after I installed ATi's drivers (yes, it is a common problem for people to have problems, but they cause so many problems to so many people, I don't know if anyone has this particular issue).

I think I'm going to move my Radeon card back to my other PC, put the nVidia GeForce4 MX420 in this one, and reformat it.

**** well it looks like this HP is going to be donated to some one then.

Ok I put the Radeon back in my HP Pavilion (It works better in this PC anyways). I'll just use mainly Windows on this PC. I use Ubuntu more often on my basement (Compaq) anyways, and the GeForce4 actually works in Linux...quite well actually, for an old card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom