Throttle Bandwidth of Firefox and IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Why would anyone want to throttle the bandwidth of Firefox or Internet Explorer ? That was my first thought when I read about two tiny apps for Firefox and Internet Explorer for the first time at Sizlopedia. I mean, it is normally the other way round. You download some large file or use P2P networks and want to use a browser as well which means that there should be a way to assign a minimum amount of bandwidth for the browser instead of throttling it. Everyone should be capable of not download large files or browsing all those rich entertainment websites if he really needs the bandwidth for something else.
Firefox Throttle and IE Throttle are add-ons for Firefox and Internet Explorer respectively that allow a user to throttle the bandwidth of the browser by selecting maximum values for upload and download. IPs and / or websites can be excluded from this effect which is good if you have a website that you don't want to throttle. Local Area Network IPs are excluded automatically and some presets are available to choose the bandwidth assigned from.

Lastly it provides stats for uploads and downloads of the session as well as total stats since installing / reseting the add-on. The Internet Explorer version comes without stats.
A better but more complicated way of setting up bandwidth limitations would be to configure it on a broader level, say the router for instance which would have the advantage that the user could select all applications that connect to the Internet instead of just Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Guess some users might find this useful nevertheless.

Throttle Bandwidth of Firefox and IE :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom