Mario Kart Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Daver

Solid State Member
For once I feel lucky to live in Europe to get this game early. It doesn't make up for the delay of SSBB though. Anyway, I posted a review of it on my site so I thought you guys might appreciate it too.

Name of product: Mario Kart Wii

Score (out of 10): 9.7/10

Overall description: The first question you'll want answering is probably the same as what I wanted answering, is it as good as the previous incarnations of Mario Kart? Well I'll not answer that just yet, but I think you'll get the idea as I explain what the game is actually like. First things first, the game gives the Wii a system update but it only takes about 30 seconds, but beware, if you've made any illegal updates it will lock out your system. The first menu screen brings up a list of options of how you can play the game so I started with a simple game on Luigi circuit. I raced the easy 50cc and chose Yoshi (i've mostly used Yoshi since the N64 game) and the first improvement I noticed is the increased number of different Karts and bikes I can use for each character. So I started the race not knowing which button to press to accellerate but quickly found out it was button 2. This was quite intuative. Firing weapons are done on the D-Pad which was good because it fires the weapons directional. I used the Wii wheel which was surprisingly amazing. It was so accurate and not at all what I expected. It was very intuative. The graphics of this circuit were clear and pretty good. High standards for the Wii but not outstanding.

I then played a multiplayer race, having heard reports that this isn't as good as it's been in the past I was very pleased to find that the multiplayer options are much better than all previous incarnations of Mario Kart. There were lots of options: Racing one off, a 4-race grand prix where you can chose exactly which tracks to race and battle mode where you're in a team and score points rather than having to sit out for ages if you're not very good. So having come 3rd overall in the grand prix I decided I was ready to play against the world! THIS IS SERIOUSLY AN EXCELLENT ONLINE MULTIPLAYER EXPERINCE ! I don't know how Nintendo have done it all of a sudden but this was incredibly simple to set up and playing someone from Japan felt exactly the same as playing the person next to you. This was a shockingly good experience from the little white box. Again the only thing letting it down was the friend code for online but that is something that we'll have to get used to from Nintendo this generation. I also had a quick go of the battle mode. This was just as expected except with more options and more battlegrounds.

Good points: Online multiplayer is excellent. Loads of tracks to choose from. Lots of options to choose from within the game. The sound is great and nostalgic when playing old tracks. Controls are superb. The game is addictive!

Negative points: If I was being really picky then I would say the graphics could be better but for the Wii they are fine and fit for purpose. I've found no other negative points so far.

Final Analysis: I always thought the N64 version was the best but this just blows it out the water. Even the tracks from the old games are playable on Mario Kart Wii. This is my favourite game on the Wii by far. It seems like it's exactly what the Wii was designed for. It's guaranteed fun no matter what type of game you normally like playing. There is so much depth to this game, much more than is previously known. There are more options, more tracks, you can use the Wii wheel or you can simply use the Wiimote and Nunchuck. The controls are great and the weapons are fun. As a single player or playing with others - this is a real gem of a game whether you're a fan of Nintendo games or not.

yeah im playin it too XD i'm working on getting all gold in the last mode now :S great game. took a few tries to get gold in lightening cup on 150cc. They fire blue shels off like no tomorrow. it's kinda ridiculous. lightening blast every 20 seconds too XD haha

Can't wait to try this game.... I will have to steal my brother's Wii again,.....

My fave Mario Kart is the SNES one. I haven't played the N64 one though. I have the GC one, and it is just WEAK.... neat tracks, but BORING gameplay, and the battle mode arena's are TINY....

Only played the N64 version until 2 nights ago. First time playing a Wii started 2 nights ago actually... and the first game was Mario Kart Wii. My Mii License is half way full of Gold medals .. looking forward to finishing up the 100cc and 150cc and then connecting it to the interwebnets to enhance my gaming experience. But, I won't expect too much because experiences may vary during online play. I truly feel that my online playing experience will be fun though. I'll have to report back with a full online experience analysis (OEA). I'll include a concise point to point OEA, for the sake of brevity, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom