4Mbps Xbox Live downloads? Why so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
Is it just me or does it take forever to download anything from Xbox Live? I've timed numerous files and most content, (large video files or game demos), seem to average 4Mbps. The only time anything downloads faster is if it's a Halo video file or highly popular game demo which leads me to believe Microsoft throttles down the speed of less popular files to give others a higher priority. I have a 15Mbps connection from my ISP by the way. I don't seem to have any problems watching movies/shows on Netflix through my 360 so that doesn't seem to be loading so slow, but it seems like anything coming from Microsoft servers is stuck in the slow lane.

Does anybody else have the same issue of retardedly slow download speeds? It makes me not even want to keep my 360 because it takes so long to do anything, despite my zippy internet connection.

Yup, same happens to me. The recent dashboard update especially was particularly slow.

It took me 4 hours to download a demo for Magic, took 20 minutes to download waypoint, if I remember right, they are about the game size.

I also noticed, this new dashboard + downloading + media center = crazy console lag. I know before this stupid update for the kinect they forced down everyones throat my xbox never had lag, except when it came to reach, now, it's just about all the time when surfing menus... I timed it at one point, took 15 minutes to get a video from my pc to the xbox to be played.

This is an issue I've noticed long before the recent dashboard update, but I've tried googling the problem and I can never find anything. Looks like I'm not the only one though. I completely agree downloading movies directly from Xbox Live is completely useless. In the time it takes to download even an SD video I could drive down to the video store and just rent the stupid thing. It just annoys me because Xbox Live could be really great if it just weren't so ridiculously slow to do anything. I mostly want to just download game demos to test before buying but it takes so long I usually just cancel it and go do something else.

It really makes you wonder what that $50 yearly fee is going towards!

Almost nothing, as they are raising the yearly fee for gold, the thing is, Silver accounts can also download videos and what not, but, they pay for extra content that can be downloaded unless it's marked free.

You would think with the serious amount of cash coming in, they would update the equipment and keep it upto par for all the users. ONE thing I noticed, my ISP now forwards all the required ports for the 360, though, it's a satelite based ISP, I can still play basic games that don't require instant re-actions, and I can now download through the market place, before, I couldn't even browse it, but, if I set the downloads via the xbox website, and signed into live on my 360, it would download no problem.

What really ticks me off about Xbox live is that many games you buy can only be played with a constant internet connection. There was some time last year that I didn't have the internet and I couldn't play a lot of games I had already paid for. It's absurd what Microsoft is doing, it's no wonder this company is being outpaced by Google. I just wish Google would come up with their own game console/media player. That might actually be something worth while!

I didn't know Microsoft was raising their Gold prices until I just looked now. Damm I'm still on the stupid monthly plan too, I'm getting raped lol. Well Xbox Live isn't even worth $50 a year, I'm definitely not going to pay an extra $10 for 4Mbps download speeds. I'd like to keep my Gamertag just because I've had it ever since Xbox Live Beta....but this is retarded.

I've been an Xbox gamer ever since the beginning, even won a contest to meet Trixie and Major Nelson and see the 360 be unveiled on MTV from the Vibe in Hollywood, (anybody remember that? It was lame on tv, but awesome in person ha), but I think it might be time to part ways. I wonder how much I could get for it considering the new models are out now.

What really ticks me off about Xbox live is that many games you buy can only be played with a constant internet connection.
Wait, like what games? Other than multiplayer games obviously. I don't know of any non-multiplayer 360 games which require internet connection at all.

Pretty much all or most of the arcade games it seems require an internet connection, without that connection they revert to the trial version only. Many won't even save scores to be uploaded at a later time when you do get a connection plugged back in. Off the top of my head Geometry wars 1 and 2 and Doom are a few to mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom