SBK 08 Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Just got SBK 08 for the PC and having major Problems Running it. First I installed striaght from DVD and it came up with cannot initialize DirectX. Then managed to install the 1.01 Patch then got to the first menu then clicked OK and it comes up with "Launcher.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." do you want to send a report to Microsoft?

Don't understand why this is? All drivers for Graphics card/Audio up to date and Win Update also Complete. Any ideas out there please?Been dying to play this since I knew it was coming out on PC!!

Patch was said to fix problem with ATI cards BUT I have a Nvidia 9600GT 512Mb all up to date 175.19.

Thanks,
Shaun.

Hi Shaun...

I've had exactly the same problem... I've looked all over the net but can't find any info on htis problem.... I htink it's quite poor that the official website doesn't have an FAQ or forum.

I've tried hacking about with it but to no avail...... if I do manage to get it working I'll let you know how I manged it.... until then I'll go and kick the neighbours cat.

Mark

Hi Shaun, Hi Mark,

yep me too - exactly the same. Loaded it on the wifes PC and all is OK there except hers is too slow to actually play the game well.

So the disk is not at fault.

Tried installing and running in Diagnostic mode with only MS services up and running but same problem, amongst a load of other ideas that met with a similar failed launcher outcome.

Im running:
AMD 4800+ X2 64 with a dual core optimiser
Windows XP Home SP3
nVidia 7800GTX
Creative Xfi Pro

have updated graphics, sound and direct x drivers etc. wifes PC is similar as above but a 3800+ CPU. Must be a confliction somewhere but damned if I can find it.

Waited 8 years for a sequel to SBK2001 and dont particularly want to wait another 8!:eek:
Left a note on their contact website but nothing heard back (not even a confirmation).
Please post if anyone fixes this as I will.
Cheers,
Nick.

Hi chaps,

I've managed to resolve the problem on my PC and hope that what worked for me works for you both.....

Basically it all came down to uninstalling the internal fax/modem that came with my PC a couple of years ago. If you have one remove it, reboot and fingers crossed it should start working for you.

Sadly once you do get into the game you'll most likely be annoyed as you can only use the keyboard or a game pad.... no support for joysticks or wheels.

I hope this works for you both..... and if you do get in and figure out how to use a joystick/wheel let me know.

All the best,

Mark

Well done Mark!

Unfortunately I dont have any installed items like this but I will compare with the wifes PC to see what I have that she doesnt (probably lots of things :rolleyes:) and whittle it down.

Not having joystick or wheel support is ok for me because I play with a pad (analogue of course).

So what do you think of it? I played a tiny bit on my wifes PC (too slow) and was very depressed - oh the sound :eek:, the menu's :eek:. I can see this is a pure console conversion - "Saving to memory - do not turn off PC" hahahaha!

Why oh why can't someone take a long hard look at SBK2001 and just bring it up to date!!

Still I reserve further judgement until I have had a decent game of it (if it ever works)

Happy gaming,
Nick.:sigh:

Yup you were right - its that pesky 56k Modem that comes as standard a few years back. Does anyone still use them?:)

Hey the game aint so bad but one question....

The sound (roar) of the other bikes drowns out everything and gets really annoying. Can't see an option to turn it down. :shocked:

What do you reckon?

Nick.

Hi guys,I have a different problem,
whenebever I try going to multiplayer I am unable to find any players,is it a problem on my side or does multiplayer just not work?

Thankyou

To be honest Nick I haven't really bothered with it much since Friday when I figured out how to get it to work. I was very disappointed with what is basically a console game converted for the PC. I usually play GTR2 / Rfactor or GTL and am used to having a full on sim that you can mod and what have you. The last bike game I bought was GP500 and although the visuals are getting dated now it's still a quality game.

I guess at some point I'll have a good look at SBK08 but as I can't get my controllers to work as I would like in the game I don't think it will be any time soon. You would think that in 2008 it isn't asking too much to have a proper full on bike sim.

That's my moaning done for the day.

I'm not too sure what the problem is with mutiplayer Reale70..... if I see anything I'll let you know.

All the best,

Mark

many thanks to mark for the solution to my problem with this game
have been at this for over a week trying different avenues to solve this, even complete re-installation.
once again thanks Mark

I've had the 'launcher.exe' problem as well but resolved it today.

Please ensure game is loaded on 'C' drive and not another partition - worked for me after two weeks of extreme frustration

It's worth a try !!

Towzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom