HDMI to VGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keba

In Runtime
Hi everyone!
I just bought a laptop with a HDMI port and I want to connect my VGA screen to that.
I was told that I would need an active converter, as the HDMI port is entirely digital, and the VGA port is entirely analog. That is also the reason why I can't use HDMI-DVI + DVI-VGA.

Do I really need an active converter? Isn't there a cheaper way to do this?

Keba

No. They were right. Cause the signal needs to be converted from Analog to Digital. There is no way to output a digital signal and have it be shown on a analog screen without any type of coversion. Just cant happen.

So... All I can do is buy one of those expensive boxes that does the conversion? I don't understand why zepto would replace the standard vga output with this. Obviously it is inferior to vga.

You are saying HDMI is inferior to VGA? Seriously?

You need to do some Googling and get some facts. VGA is the worst out there. IT is old tech used since the beginning of PC's. HDMI is the present. Audio and Video over 1 cable and HD as well.

You need to do some Googling and get some facts. VGA is the worst out there. IT is old tech used since the beginning of PC's. HDMI is the present. Audio and Video over 1 cable and HD as well.

right. plus it has resolution of 1920x1080, hence the name 1080i and 1080p

If VGA is superior why would have they switched all current video cards to have DVI? HDMI and DVI are the best video connections you can get right now.

If your monitor has DVI, you can use an HDMI-DVI cable. HDMI and DVI are essentially the same thing with a different connector. The main difference is that HDMI can carry both audio and video while DVI is only video. However, the audio isn't lost if you go from HDMI to DVI to HDMI again via adapter cables, so the DVI connector is technically capable of audio as well. In fact, some newer graphics cards allow their DVI ports to function as HDMI ports and output audio and video.

VGA, on the other hand, is an old type of connector. It is still good quality, but is best for CRT's and not LCD's. DVI connectors have the ability of outputting a VGA signal, essentially acting as VGA ports, and using a connector adapter to change the DVI port into a VGA port so you can connect a monitor. However, HDMI does not have this analog mode, so you can't go from HDMI to DVI to VGA because even though the connectors fit, the HDMI laptop won't be able to output an analog signal. Many HDMI laptops also include a VGA port (my laptop has S-Video (7-pin with composite/component output as well), VGA, HDMI, and the built in screen, a total of 4 video outputs) to make up for the lack of a compatible DVI port.

If you don't have a VGA port, your only option will be an active converter. This device will decode the digital signal into an analog signal for your monitor. It will also be quite expensive, as signal conversion isn't exactly simple.

To

and

If VGA is superior why would have they switched all current video cards to have DVI? HDMI and DVI are the best video connections you can get right now.

The way I see it, HDMI has the best quality but nothing supports it. I use a VGA monitor for my stationary, and all the projectors at my university uses VGA as well.
Because of this, it is pretty much impossible for me to do presentations, or anything else from my laptop. The only advantage would be if I were to buy a LCD monitor. However, I am pretty confident in the fact that any monitor I could afford, would be of such poor quality, that I wouldn't notice the quality anyway, nor ever need it. And besides, if I wanted a LCD monitor, I could just use the one in my laptop.

But yes. When you compare the specs, HDMI is superior to VGA, but very very.. very.. impractical given the equipment available to me.

^^

meh PS3 has HDMI and 360 Elite's or normal ones made after like october 07 can have them. All the HD digi boxes do, for me in England thats Sky HD or Virgin Media HD.

To

and

The way I see it, HDMI has the best quality but nothing supports it. I use a VGA monitor for my stationary, and all the projectors at my university uses VGA as well.
Because of this, it is pretty much impossible for me to do presentations, or anything else from my laptop. The only advantage would be if I were to buy a LCD monitor. However, I am pretty confident in the fact that any monitor I could afford, would be of such poor quality, that I wouldn't notice the quality anyway, nor ever need it. And besides, if I wanted a LCD monitor, I could just use the one in my laptop.

But yes. When you compare the specs, HDMI is superior to VGA, but very very.. very.. impractical given the equipment available to me.

you are in the stone ages. new stuff has dvi and hdmi since the technology is superior. it won't work with the old analog. guess what? they are doing away with analog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom