Radiator Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaaxx

Baseband Member
Hey you guys,
I currently own a gigabyte 3D galaxy II and am not satisfied with its temps and the LOOK of the massive blue thing on the back.

So i was thinking of the following:

I'd cut a nice big rectangle out on top of my case, add a panel acting as a fanguard, placing 3 fans on there and then create my own radiator

this is my plan:
I'll connect my water cooling tubes to copper tubes running across my radiator. Im planning on using copper plates (about 30-40cm in length and 2 cm in height) which will have 3 fans blowing onit from the case and 3 other fans on top sucking the air out. also i was thinking of the water flowing through the cooler like this:

(______________________
______________________)

i hope u guys get my basic understanding of 'art' :p:p
for those of you who dont, the brakcets are like the turning point n the dashes are supposed to represent the copper tubing.

anyways i like this radiator a lot:
http://www.dangerden.com/store/files/images/radiators/bi/gts/gts360_1pass_black_800w.jpg
but im not sure how to start n what kind of material to use.

if you guys can give me some hints n tips it'd be much apreciated ;)

thanks,
maxx

Yikies........ Youre not trying to make that rad are you? G/l as that'll be hard. Better off buying it.

On your Idea..
What you need is fins attached to your copper tubing, oh and buy as thin wall as you can.
The more loops the more cooling time, but takes up more space.

hey thanks for your reply, yes i realise it won't be easy at all but i live in the middle east at the moment..
All i could buy for watercooling was the galaxyII.. anyways ill take a look at what i can find in the hardware store here, but i can't buy these things anywhere..most websites don't even ship to the UAE for gods sake i wanna go back:p

Man, Its hard in Canada, cant Imagine UAE.

The copper tube is called "Flexible" tubing I think. It's common plumbing stuff.
You can make fins by making holes slightly smaller than the tub dia. then freezing the tube, or heating the fin and shrink fitting them tight.

Just use thin copper sheeting.

Good luck... make a log of it.

Oh, aluminum can work if your desprite.

oh thats a good idea..
so aluminium would be better than copper?
or any other recommended material?
yeah its really bad here, been looking everywhere for websites that ship to the UAE, but fine, got over that, it'd be nice to do a project like this =)
by fins..i understand the pieces of metal the fan blows on connected to the copper tubes? and at which temperature should i heat this, celcius or fahrenheit plz:p
I hope ACE got these items...nothing's easy to get over here:p

EDIT: a cross section should look like an O with a metalplate popping through right?..

.....0......===============

something like this?:p lol hard to draw

Copper is better. Aluminum is okay, and can be gotten thin and cheap.

Yes the fins need to touch the tubes, basically llike the heatsink and cpu.

Temeperatures can be just the freezer, or hot water, boiling is great but can hurt your fingers.

The fins are there to add surface area to your copper tubing, so the heat of the fluid is absorbed my the pipes and the fins. The air blowing across th fins sucks the heat better.

I'll try to whip up a small drawing.... Oh if it matters, I am a Metallurgical Engineer, so i know abit about metal..;)

Yay word:
tube.jpg

The Official Site of Benjamin J Heckendorn

look down almost halfway down the page and he makes a custom radiator for the xbox 360 laptop. If you have the tools to do so i would look into doing it that way. Just an idea. Also it is a good read to see how he did it.

Also if you can't find a decent radiator and this gets to frustrating for you. Look into finding an inner cooler for a car or even a four-wheeler in the junkyard. I have seen many water loops using these.

hey thanks for the reply and the pciture, helps a lot.
when u say fins.. do u mean that part of the copper plate should go INTO the tube? and if that is what you mean, should only parts of it go inside?
anyways id like to make a log out of it soon, im just a little busy now.
i just needed u guys' opinion oh and that XBOX idea is awesome, i was thinking of doing the same with an onboard gpu motherboard, but thats for later thisyear:p

thanks again guys,
ill keep you updated,

maxx

Hey...........
the pipes go through the "fins". So just put holes through the fin, Plate in my drawing.

See his rad in this pic for a perfect example.

basic_water_circuit.jpg

Had A good thought too... Get a motorbike oil cooler for it....

thanks, was just making sure:p yea okay i got it, thanks a lot for the information i think ill get started soon.. just need to get one of those saws to cut out the rectangle in the case and some instrument to make the holes...
i really hope i can find those things, no idea where to get an oil cooler thogh... ill have to check:p

thanks a lot man,
maxx:happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom