Would you buy a wireless AC router today?

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
I am currently using a dual router setup. main router buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH 2.4Ghz only, good range, runs dd-wrt, doesn't have 5Ghz band. no problems so far. and a Linksys E2500 as a repeater bridge for the 5Ghz, bad range on both bands, bad speed on the 2.4Ghz, and no gigabit ports.

Thinking of buying either the Asus RT-N66U or Linksys EA6300 to consolidate into one router. both are similarly priced today ~$125. I am not ready to drop $190 on the Asus AC66U.

Asus N66U, good reviews all around, seems like a solid router. usb 2.0 only.
Linksys EA6300, Second generation Broadcom-based draft 802.11ac router with dual core processor and usb 3.0.

I do not have any AC devices currently, but might pick up a HTC ONE (has AC radio) later this year depending on the specs and availability on the Nexus 5. That and I don't upgrade my routers often, so I might have more AC devices down the road. One of the features I am looking for the new router is the DLNA server to stream movies to my PS3 in the living room, that's why I mentioned N66U only having USB 2.0.

Honestly if you're current setup is fine, I would just wait. I have the E4200 and it wasn't much of a difference from my WRT54G besides gigabit ports which I have a switch for. Although I want an AC router, I'll be waiting myself. I find N to be just as ****ty as G where raw speed is concerned, and I think the range gets worse with the faster things get.

Also to the phone, phones typically have single antenna setups. So, the speeds you'll get off the AC setup on the One will probably be that of standard N or lower. AFAIK current phones have a single pole antenna that is capable of only 65Mb in N mode.

I have the Netgear WNDR 4500 router. It has 2.4 and the 5 ghz bandwidth range with DNLA. I replaced my older Linksys router with it and it performs well, no issues but I do get a lot of firmware updates with it. It too only has USB 2.0 but it does have two USB ports. I got this router because I saw a good review on Maximum PC magazine.
Netgear WNDR4500 Wi-Fi Router Review | Maximum PC
This is only my opinion for a decent router. We must take into account the new 802.11 ac. I'm not familiar with that as of yet to make any comments, so it could be a much better option

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom