Video card for PS CS5.1extended

David2004

In Runtime
Quick question, does Photoshop cs5.1 extended use the graphic card heavily?

My brother's wife uses Photoshop cs5.1E and their PC has a GTS 250 in it. My brother used to game, but he doesn't anymore. So I would like to get that GTS 250 from him and give him an old 9400GT 512MB card I have lying around.

If I did that, would his wife see any slowing while using the program, for whatever it may be, with the 9400GT compared to the GTS 250?

From the Adobe website:

Recommendations
For best performance, pick a card from the Photoshop CS5 supported video card list (kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/ cpsid_83117.html) that has a fast processor and as much memory (VRAM) as you can afford. If you're working with video files and want to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5 software, you should also consult the supported video card list (Adobe Premiere Pro CC for Mac, Windows, PC - Tech specs) for that program to find an option that suits both Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 environments.

GPU-accelerated features in Photoshop CS5 Photoshop CS5 harnesses increasing hardware power and speed by introducing new features, like Adobe Repoussé that take advantage of modern video card technology. Other GPU features added in Photoshop CS5 include:

- Scrubby Zoom
- Heads-up display (HUD) color picker
- Color sampling ring
- Brush dynamic size and brush hardness control
- Bristle Brush preview
- Rule of Thirds crop grid overlay
- 3D overlays (including ground plane, light guides, and bounding boxes for mesh and materials)
- GPU-accelerated features in Bridge CS5 include:

I've got a bit of experience using graphics intensive programs as well, I use the autodesk suite fairly often and my hd 6950 handles it nicely. Most of the slowdown for that comes from the type of storage being used (ssd or hdd).

Anyway, buy a card with as much VRAM as possible, I'm guessing 2Gb from either the 7900 series or 6900 series. I don't know much, if anything, about Nvidia cards so it might be worth researching those as well.

Ok, seems like the GTS250 itself doesn't get any advantages for the GPU-accelerated features. I'm going to do the swap.

Back
Top Bottom