'iTunes weTax,' says New York State

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Seeking the means to shrink a nasty budget deficit, legislators in Albany have floated the idea of slapping a 4% tax on entertainment services delivered via the net, including streaming movies, e-books, and music downloads.

The move, though perhaps among the least disruptive of the suggested changes to the state's $121 billion budget, could prove painful for legitimate services and provide additional motivation for those who lean toward getting their music and movies off the file-sharing services.

New York certainly wouldn't be the first to try to close what the budget calls the Digital Property Taxation Loophole. Tennessee has a similar law going into effect in January; Nebraska's version kicked in in October. (New York's actually held the line on not taxing downloads, as Apple discovered when they inquired in 2007 [PDF available here].) The question is of course how or even if such a tax -- which the budget-makers estimate could mean $15-20 million for state coffers -- could be collected.

The key concept is "nexus" -- the policy that a state can only collect tax from a business with a presence within its physical borders. Nexus is the rule of the land since 1992; though there's pressure afoot in Congress to change that, as long as a presence is required, there's no mandatory tax collection possible.

(We pause here for iTunes, eMusic, and such to figure out not only where their staff lives, but in which cloud or server farm they've parked their files.)

Source

I HATE LIVING IN NY DURING A RECESSION! We can't afford anything anymore, because our taxes and stuff has just skyrocketed. And my brother's at a state school, and his tuition's going up as well. :(

Does this mean Steam games will be taxed?

Quiet. If they see that they will try to tax that next.

So.... That means they could tax a company that is in another country??? Erm... I don't see how this will work out in the end... I honestly don't see them keeping track of all of that in the end... Glad I live in ky...

The company is not taxed. The consumer who purchases something from said company is taxed.

I live in Tennessee, and our taxes are screwed. The state has been on the brink of bankruptcy for years. While we don't have a state income tax (yet), we have plenty of sales tax. Technically, I am supposed to pay taxes on ANYTHING I buy online, as I am supposed to send the state their share. Seems like they will soon make it a part of the purchase. Oh joy.

TN is one of the states that Newegg has a warehouse in, so I already pay taxes on whatever I order from them. I will use the Egg to find what I want, but then I shop around to see if I can beat the price+taxes.

With the current economic crisis, I expect it will get worse on all of us, and very soon. We tighten our belts and cut our expenses, but don't expect any government body to so.

Guys there is a line in there about other states doing it.

Tennessee has a similar law going into effect in January; Nebraska's version kicked in in October.

So NY isnt the first to do it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom