Intel Grabs More Processor Market Share at AMD's Expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

devlish96

Daemon Poster
Intel continued to gain processor market share at the expense of competitor AMD, according to a report released Thursday by IDC.

Overall, Intel increased its share of the worldwide processor market by 1.2 percent in the second quarter of 2003, and now owns 81.6 percent of the market, according to the research firm.

AMD's share, meanwhile, slipped 1.1 percent, to 17.2 percent.

The decline of AMD and the rise of Intel was most dramatic in the mobile processor market. Boosted by the success of its Pentium M processor, part of its Centrino platform of wireless access-equipped notebooks, Intel picked up another 2.8 percent of the market, primarily at the expense of AMD, which saw its share fall 2.5 percent.

Intel rules the mobile roost, said IDC, with a whopping 88.1 percent of the mobile processor market.

AMD's best showing is in the desktop processor field, where it holds 19.4 percent of the market, compared to Intel's 79.4 percent. Even there, however, AMD lost ground to Intel: AMD's share of the desktop processor business fell 0.7 percent, while Intel's rose by 0.8 percent.

source:www.techweb.com

dethangel said:
does amd have a mobile processor?
AMD has mobile versions of the Athlon XP (XP-M I believe) as well as a Mobile Athlon64 processor. As far as I know they're identical to the standard desktop versions with a few extra power management features.

in my opinion, Intel's mobile processor is better than AMD.
currently, the trend is moving towards using notebook or laptops.
so, thats why Intel can get more business compared to AMD.

Intel's mobile processor is very powerful as they are using the centrino technology.this is why their mobile processor is so popular.

but for desktop computers, both Intel and AMD processor is good.but AMD procesor is cheaper.

AMD is far better for me for any of the applications I use, except maybee audio encoding (a few extra seconds wont hurt )

I like Intel better for the mobile market, but I have an AMD anways because their was no Intel at my price range for that speed, at that time.

lol it sometimes seems like the the 17% of people with AMD's in the world are all on this forum =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom