How do you discover and demo new software?

tom-lp

Beta member
Hi everyone. I want to learn about how everyone discovers new software for themselves or their business. Is it just by google searching? When you have an issue your looking to solve with software what does the discovery process look like?

Hey! Discovering new software often starts with a Google search, but it's not the only way. I also rely on recommendations from peers, tech forums, and industry news. When facing an issue, I research, read reviews, and test free trials to find the best-fit solution. It's a mix of online research and trusted sources.

Agree with ShayWacky -- Google searches for (Linux, Unix) OS's and lately there have been more coming out what seems like daily. I like to test them in a VM or VPS environment so it minimizes the wear on my hardware. Check out GhostBSD these guys are great!

Here are some common ways people find new software for personal and business use:

For Personal Use:

• Reviews and Recommendations: People often rely on reviews and recommendations from friends, family, or online sources. Tech blogs, review websites, and social media can be a treasure trove of insights into new and interesting software.
  • Social Media: Social media platforms can be a great way to discover new software through targeted ads, influencer recommendations, or simply seeing what tools your connections are using.
  • Problem-Specific Searches: If you have a specific problem you need to solve, a targeted Google search can be very effective. For instance, searching for "best note-taking apps" or "free photo editing software" can quickly surface relevant options.
  • Browsing App Stores: Many app stores, like Google Play or the Apple App Store, categorize and curate software, making it easy to browse and discover new options based on your interests or needs.
For Business Use:

• Industry Publications and Conferences: Industry publications and conferences often cover the latest software solutions relevant to a specific field. Attending industry events can also expose you to software vendors and their offerings.
  • Software Comparison Sites: Websites like G2 Crowd, Capterra, and Software Advice allow you to compare different software solutions based on features, pricing, and user reviews. This can be a great way to narrow down your options and find the best fit for your business needs.
  • Networking and Talking to Peers: Talking to colleagues in your industry or attending networking events can be a great way to learn about the software tools others are using successfully.
  • Vendor Websites and Demos: Many software vendors offer free trials, demos, or detailed information on their websites. This allows you to explore the software in more depth before making a purchase decision.
  • IT Consultants: IT consultants can provide valuable expertise in identifying and implementing software solutions that meet your business's specific needs and goals.

Back
Top Bottom