Best way to get CompTia A+ certifications and tests

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
I am trying to find the best place to take a course to get my A+ certification.

I'm not really looking for a free course (although that is good too) but my one local place wanted $800 for 3 certs. I think it was for A+, Network+ and another one but I don't remember which one.

I have seen these 2 options for courses recommended on here and wondered which you all think is the better one.

Mike Meyers book: Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) (9780071795128): Michael Meyers: Books

Professor Messer's online training: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training He also has DVDs available ($149) so you don't have to do it all online and if I go with this guy I would probably get the DVDs.

Also I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the 220-701/702 and the 220-801/802 exams. I think the 800 ones are updated/new but I'm really not sure. Can I still take the 700 ones if I want to or do I have to take the 800s?

Can the A+ tests only be taken at a local provider of the tests? I know at least one of the local computer places has them available but I don't know what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I found this on CompTias site so I guess I figured out one of the questions. "The previous version of the CompTIA A+ certification, exam codes 220-701 and 220-702, will be available through Aug. 31, 2013. You can take either exam series to become CompTIA A+ certified.". So would you recommend I do the 700 or the 800?

Last edited:
I would suggest purchasing the Mike Meyers book and then watching professor messers online material. With those two resources you should be able to pass the A+ and Net+ without issue.

I don't think the online material alone is enough to pass the test, unless you've been in IT for a while and know your stuff.

You HAVE to take the exam at a registered CompTIA test location. I think they used to use Prometric and Pearson (CompTIA Testing with Pearson VUE). Last time i checked they now only use Pearson.

So you have to register with Pearson then sign up for the exam through Pearsons website.

I would suggest purchasing the Mike Meyers book and then watching professor messers online material. With those two resources you should be able to pass the A+ and Net+ without issue.

I don't think the online material alone is enough to pass the test, unless you've been in IT for a while and know your stuff.

You HAVE to take the exam at a registered CompTIA test location. I think they used to use Prometric and Pearson (CompTIA Testing with Pearson VUE). Last time i checked they now only use Pearson.

So you have to register with Pearson then sign up for the exam through Pearsons website.

Thank you for the info. That is probably what I will do.

What is your opinion on the 70x vs the 80x exams and courses?

Back
Top Bottom