Acquiring network address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeico

Baseband Member
WinXP Pro, using a Zyxel M-202 network adapter. 50' from access point.

My adapter shows 5 bars, and Excellent connectivity; yet I keep losing the connection periodically throughout the day and night. Each time I have to tell it to connect, and it goes through asking me again for the password to get on this secure network. I enter it, and then it just sits there trying to "Acquire Network Address". This happens whether I use either the Windows network software or the software provided by Zyxel. After multiple tries to connect, it does start working properly again.

I can, however, connect to a secondary access point (secured router) anytime with no problem other than 2 bars and low connectivity.

Is this my problem, or is it the fault of the provider of the access point?

You're probably typing in the network key wrong.

Like I said, the disconnects happen AFTER I am connected (with the correct network key, obviously), and often 3-5 times a day. The connection goes down as long as an hour or two at a time.

But you're right, I could be getting senile and unable to type in "user@rvpark" correctly over and over again until it finally does connect again - only to disconnect again, perhaps, an hour later. And the process repeats itself. I probably have to enter "user@rvpark" 50 times a day in order to stay connected 90% of the time.

I am sorry to say this is not the type of answer I was looking for, and it is a bit disheartening - almost insulting - to get a reply suggesting I might be unable to correctly enter a password key as your solution to the problem. No offense intended.

Unplug the wireless router and let it sit for 5 min unplugged, then fire her up again

Actually, thanks! That does work sometimes. And thanks for reminding me that this has solved the problem at times! The only trouble is that the router is often inaccessible to most residents in the rv park (locked room in the detached clubhouse), and ofttimes management is not on the premises. But even so, it doesn't work all the time. The general consensus here is that the wi-fi has a mind of its own!

Assuming your response is the best solution, what do you think creates the need for the router to have to be unplugged/plugged, what causes it to lose the acquisition of the network address and, lastly, what would be the permanent fix so it wouldn't continue to happen several times/day? By the way, the RV park gets the Internet via DSL (Windstream) and feeds it to the router for dissemination throughout the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom