WorkGroup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbacheese8

Beta member
I want to connect two computers on a network to share files. My network is setup as follows, cable modem to Belkin Wireless G router. From the router one PC is wired and one PC connects through a Wireless NIC. Both computers run XP and the firewalls are configured to allow file sharing.
I have tried running XP network setup (Hasn't Worked). I get errors either saying that the workgroup is not accessible or a prompt to login when there is not logins configured on either computer. Any Help would be great thanks.

You must have an account on both computers with passwords and a shared folder. If I'm not mistaken, you must have a user account that is named the same thing on both and be using one of them.

make sure you are both are under the same network name, if 1 pc is win xp pro then automactically it will be under WORKGROUP, and if the other is win xp home then it will be MSHOME, they both need to be the same. You can find out what they are called by going on system properities on control panel, or by doing the network wizard again and renaming the workgroups to something else but make sure you name it the same on the other computer. hope this is clear enough for you:)

Problem still not resolved: but thank you for your responses.
Both Computers are in the same work group. When I open up my network places the two computers are displayed in the workgroup. However when i go to access the other computer an error pops up that says \\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Admin to see if you have access persmissions.
network Path was not found

* how to i get around this restriction problem when none of my accounts have passwords?

i had this problem and i solved it by running the network wizard again on the one i couldnt access the files on.

??? does this just magically fix the problem after one random try or is there some madness to this method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom