Windows 8.1 File Explorer not appearing

JAIJ47

Beta member
So I've had this issue twice where I can't actually see the file explorer open whether I try to open a random folder on the desktop or open it from the taskbar it just doesn't work.

The Issues
-It says file explorer is open in the task bar but it isn't on the screen
-file explorer doesn't appear in task manager
-right clicking the file explorer icon and trying to open there doesn't work
-right clicking the file explorer in the taskbar and opening properties shows nothing out of the ordinary
-going into update and recovery to refresh my PC solves the issue for about a day but then the issue comes back
-there is no error message pop up box
-McAfee can't find any viruses
-When using sfc scan it states that "it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them"

I really need help with this one because I can't access any of my college work for my computing course at home

1.Read this so you can learn to boot into safe mode.
5 Ways to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

2.Boot into safemode once you know how and remove mcafee within safe mode.

3.Restart the machine so it will take effect/

4.Download System Mechanic Download
Let it run and let if find any problems once it does look at it and let system mechanic repair.

5.Reboot once done and go to event viewer go so system logs and find where windows was erroring out.
What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer) - Windows Help

Bring back what event viewer says it will a show exclamation mark indicating a problem or or red x for errors.

I've found the issue. Apparently my computer found a different display (Even though I only have the one monitor connected) and kept opening file explorer there.

I've found the issue. Apparently my computer found a different display (Even though I only have the one monitor connected) and kept opening file explorer there.

:lol: I've had that happen before - though it was usually only when I previously had a display hooked up. Quite annoying when it happens though. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Though I do agree with Rockman, in regards that you should get rid of McAfee - it's not very good. If anything, replace it with Avast, Avira, or BitDefender Free. Skip installing System Mechanic - it's not necessary.

:lol: I've had that happen before - though it was usually only when I previously had a display hooked up. Quite annoying when it happens though. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Though I do agree with Rockman, in regards that you should get rid of McAfee - it's not very good. If anything, replace it with Avast, Avira, or BitDefender Free. Skip installing System Mechanic - it's not necessary.
Yeah, I am not impressed with McAfee's service. I downloaded Malwarebytes and did a scan with that and McAffe missed 105 potentially unwanted programs. In what feckin' universe does a paid for service do less than a free non premium piece of software?

Back
Top Bottom