• No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with <insert Linux distro>, tell us in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I usually end up being about 5 years behind the times, so Win7 will stay on my main rig and WinXP will stay on my HTPC probably until halfway through Win9's life at which point I'll probably be forced to upgrade.

My main concern with 8 is software compatibility.
I feel like most 3rd party vendors lag a bit behind new OS launches, probably because most mainstream users aren't upgrading every few months and/or right after a launch. Granted you will likely be able to find appropriate patches, but I'm lazy and prefer for things to just work as intended.

Actually, I know of a few programs that will only run in XP, they refuse to run in compatibility mode on vista and newer. I actually know of a good chunk of programs that will only run in 98 and 2000 as well. But, it's all corporate and custom made software that I am familiar with when it comes to that issue.

I use XP on my HTPC because
1) I don't want/need to pay to upgrade since it works fine for my purposes on that rig (and I don't see the need to pirate it).
2) I play some older games that don't seem to like Win7 much, hence the comment about software compatibility.

Yes, I will be installing it soon.

after it got good comments.... otherwise i am satisfied with Windows 7

I don't see how this is even going to run on smartphones and tablets with severely inefficient, bottle-necked arm cpus that are inferior to Pentium 3s.

Actually, W8 will have an "RT" version for the ARM processors.

If a lot of folks make a big stink about 8's ui then I can see M$ coming out with a better ui on W9....maybe even a start button. It's possible that 8 will exist fine on tablets and smart phones, but will be a dud on desktop pc's. (reminds me of Windows Millennium Edition....eeeeww)
When Vista came out I got it and installed it for one week and went back to XP until 7 came out. I already purchased a W8 Pro OEM disk but I have no intention of actually using it for myself now or in the near future, I might need it for a client though and the pre-order was a good price

I installed the trial on a virtual machine with a Pentium D @ 2.6GHz and I allocated 1.5GB of ram. That lagged worse than GTA 4 on a Celeron cpu and an Nvidia 5200 64mb gpu. Then I bumped the allocated ram up to 2GB. It didn't improve. Next, I copied the virtual machine over to my Core i7 pc. It got a little better but still unusable. After I allocated 4GB, it ran ok.

Windows 8 is cpu and ram heavy beyond fathomable reason.

I don't see how this is even going to run on smartphones and tablets with severely inefficient, bottle-necked arm cpus that are inferior to Pentium 3s.

Windows RT seems to run pretty well on tegra 3 so performance should be pretty good on Krait and the other more powerful SoC's.

Back
Top Bottom