• No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with <insert Linux distro>, tell us in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OEM 8 Pro x64 fresh install on my Raptor drive with only drivers installed and Nvidia processes disabled.

1GB more RAM usage than 7 and 8 RTM. This is now a step backwards for people who are upgrading for "more performance". If you don't have a quad core and 8GB of RAM, avoid this OS. This is without me installing Start8 and Classic Shell for the start menu and classic theme that I prefer. Or any other programs for that matter.

fail.jpg

memusagewin8.png

That's with Waterfox running (4 active tabs), the Metro messaging app, and Pandora.

Yea my review manager posted his, 81 processes and something like 1.3GB of RAM usage. I take things away and it uses more RAM. Doesn't make any sense to me. With Chrome and Xfire open I have 2.5GB usage and 45 processes.

If you disabled the pagefile, that's why your RAM usage is higher PP.... Believe it or not, some things are almost always thrown into that no matter what.

I've finally got around to doing a native install of Windows 8 on a desktop and I have to admit it isn't as bad as I through although I still don't know if I would really want to switch to it as my main OS. I think it would probably be tolerable on laptops since you only dealing with a single small screen there but it seems like the Metro->desktop transition would be really annoying to deal with on a desktop with multiple monitors.

It should make an awesome tablet os though.

Last edited:
5 bucks gets you Start8 that if you want can cripple Metro to where you don't even need it or see it. That is of course, if you are lucky enough and can use it while in 8.

5 bucks gets you Start8 that if you want can cripple Metro to where you don't even need it or see it. That is of course, if you are lucky enough and can use it while in 8.

Eh, I've got plenty of 7/Server 08R2 licenses already so I would stick with one of those before modding 8 to make it look like 7.

I would actually like Metro on my netbook but the resolution isn't supported. My Thinkpad could easily run it but I mainly use it for getting work done and I don't want to deal with Metro messing up my workflow on it.

Back
Top Bottom