vpn help

dac004

Beta member
hi,
im trying to setup a vpn to remotely access files on my home computer from work. i set up the incoming and out going parts of the vpn ( googled how to set up vpn followed instructions) forwarded the ports on my router to 1723 to the static ip on my compter, turned off my firewall cause i thought that was an issue. i can connect to the vpn the way its setup now if im on the same network but the second i use a different internet connection i can't use the vpn it gives me an 800 error. im so confused any help would be great.

hi,
im trying to setup a vpn to remotely access files on my home computer from work. i set up the incoming and out going parts of the vpn ( googled how to set up vpn followed instructions) forwarded the ports on my router to 1723 to the static ip on my compter, turned off my firewall cause i thought that was an issue. i can connect to the vpn the way its setup now if im on the same network but the second i use a different internet connection i can't use the vpn it gives me an 800 error. im so confused any help would be great.

When connecting to it remotely are you using the external address for your home internet? Does your workplace have a firewall that might prevent connectivity on that port?

Find the external address for your internet by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ from a PC at home.

If the address you're using looks like 192.168.x.x then you are trying to use a local address and it will not work. Try connecting to home by using your home internets' external IP address.

Last edited:
When connecting to it remotely are you using the external address for your home internet? Does your workplace have a firewall that might prevent connectivity on that port?

Find the external address for your internet by going to What's My IP Address? - Obsolete Browser Page from a PC at home.

If the address you're using looks like 192.168.x.x then you are trying to use a local address and it will not work. Try connecting to home by using your home internets' external IP address.

thank you so much i was using the local static ip address not the external ip.

Back
Top Bottom