Is it possible to completely remove Metro from Windows 8?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
I use Windows 8 with a start menu replacement, so I never see the Modern UI. I was wondering if it was possible to free up some bloat and disk space and just destroy it altogether, so is there a way to completely do that? Not hiding it, just taking it off?

I use Windows 8 with a start menu replacement, so I never see the Modern UI. I was wondering if it was possible to free up some bloat and disk space and just destroy it altogether, so is there a way to completely do that? Not hiding it, just taking it off?

Remove 8 and reinstall 7 lol.
I don't think it's possible. 8.1 added some ways to make the interface less annoying, but bits and pieces of metro still remain.

Can't fully remove Metro sadly... It will always be there hiding. Win9 supposedly makes it less annoying, but I wont be happy till Business users get an option to totally go back to the old GUI. No reason at all for workstations to have metro, it's eyecandy, HORRIBLE eyecandy... Aero was nice, Metro is... bleh.

This is the #1 reason why I've refused to upgrade despite the IT department's forced attempts to force me into 8 lol.

Metro is here to stay either for a while or indefinitely since they are trying to make everything "unified". I suggest getting used to it by using programs to hide it or switch to a different OS.

I have run replacement GUI's since XP. when in XP, it was experimentation. 7, turned into very fruitful versatility. 8 and up will be necessity. Pattern... windows GUI is getting worse and worse the farther along we go.

I agree fully, but unless we want to turn into the guys holding onto XP for dear life we'll have to move on up eventually. Idk about anybody else, but hardware level API usage in DirectX 12 is enough reason to move onto Windows 9 when the kinks are worked out and support is on the rise. This coming from a guy who solidly prefers classic theme over anything else.

Hardware integration, compatibility, and implementation are truly the only reasons to upgrade, even from an XP standpoint. if I was running a q6800 or 6600, DDR2 and whatnot, I would not budge from XP, but there's better hardware out there that just doesn't work as it should on newer OS's. now, that hardware level API is definitely a reason for upgrading to 9, I just hope the rest of the OS is worth it, because as it stands, 8 has got to be the ugliest OS M$ has come up with since 2000

Nah 7 is indefinitely faster on older hardware as it has better resource management and handles more threads much better. Now when we're talking "ancient" (emphasis on quotes) hardware like AthlonXP or other single core variants with DDR, yes XP is the way to go.

I've found almost anything from the last 4-5 years works decently with 8.1. I just can't stand not having a classic theme so I went back to 7 since Windows Pastel Version gives me more of a headache than the usual one I get daily.

Well, at least they partially listened to users when it came to Win9... I still like Win7 better, and I have for the most part gone to Ubuntu for everything on my own computer, rest of the house will stay on Win7 for as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom