Out of memory Errors

NormBourne

Beta member
Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble in that whilst using a CAD program I keep getting an "Out of Memory" error.

The story is as follows:

Design Cad is a program which has been around for many years, and as a director in an electrical firm, I was required to carry out extensive design work in the form of electrical schematics and wiring diagrams.

I established my firm in 1975 and for those first tentative years, I persevered accomplishing any required documentation manually.

Towards the late 80's, I became aware of the advantages to be had by using a computer, not only in the CAD area, but in the preparation of quotations etc.

My first computer was an, 80286 which whilst painfully slow, was like a breath of fresh air, compared to the manual approach.

The CAD program I used was a DOS based program, DesignCad ver.4 I never had any problems with memory despite some of the material being fairly complex and the limited ability of the 80286 processor.

Over the years I migrated through the 80386, 80486, to the present day, high speed, high capacity computers.

DesignCad went through various revisions, the latest revision I have is vers.18, however I still use version 4, due to the later versions having been revised, with the emphasis on the ability to interpret other CAD formats, such as dxf. and dwg. Etc.

The later versions do not have the dexterity of version 4, so I do my work in v4 and process it in v18.

Although I am now retired, I get requests from former clients to upgrade and re-issue their drawings.

Recently, I have been using a computer with 512Mb of ram, and the XP Pro operating system with no probs until the CPU went, due to a faulty cooling fan.

I have now acquired another machine, again with 512Mb ram, XP Pro operating system, and massive amount of hard disk space, and that is where I'm at now.

I have since upgraded the RAM to 2 Gigabyte, not believing it was a physical memory problem, but simply to take it out of the equation.

I believe this message is fairly common, but I am at a loss as to how to fix it.

Any ideas guys.....?

Thank you & Best Regards,

Norm.

Last edited:
Look into what your page file is set at; it's possible that your pagefile isn't large enough (yet, if it's set to automatic).

Start -> right click 'My Computer' -> properties -> Advanced tab -> under Performance click Settings... -> Advanced tab -> under 'Virtual memory' what's that set to?

Click Change... -> set to 'Custom Size' and set it to at least 4096 (4GB of paging).

Look into what your page file is set at; it's possible that your pagefile isn't large enough (yet, if it's set to automatic).

Start -> right click 'My Computer' -> properties -> Advanced tab -> under Performance click Settings... -> Advanced tab -> under 'Virtual memory' what's that set to?

Click Change... -> set to 'Custom Size' and set it to at least 4096 (4GB of paging).

I checked the virtual memory it was set at 768 mb, I changed as suggested to 4096 mb but unfortunately I still get the error.

Thanks mate,

Norm.

Check task manager to see what is going on in the background while working. Check to see how much RAM is being used by the program and other programs while running in the background.

Back
Top Bottom