Need help with UltraMon (dual monitor setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I have a feeling this isn't the right place for this topic but I tried to post in Off Topic but it wouldn't allow me to? So here I am!

I installed UltaMon for one purpose. To have all my games run on my secondary monitor which is my LCD TV. However I cannot seem to get it to work and the tech support at UltraMon is very slow.

I am running it on Vista. UltraMon 3.03.

Does anyone know how to use this program? Basically I need to know two things at this point.

1) How to make games load on the secondary monitor.

2) How to get the settings file for those games to recognize the resolution for my TV instead of my primary monitor. My tv runs at 1920 x 1080 and the primary runs at 1680 x 1050.

Is this possible? Do I need to instead have my secondary monitor run everything else and my primary run the games? For instance switch the TV to primary and then have my secondary monitor be the actual PC monitor and use it for browsing internet and such?

I usually play games on my laptop (it's better than my old desktop) so I hook up my monitor (20") to my laptop (17"). Obviously I want to play on the monitor. I just go into nVidia settings and tell it to make the external monitor the primary one. It then puts the main screen on the external and the secondary on the laptop.

You can do the same thing, your TV will be your primary and you can game on it, while leaving other stuff open on the secondary (the monitor). Do note that you can't just click over to the web browser on the secondary, if you do it'll minimize the game. Stupid, I know, but that's how Windows handles full-screen 3d applications like games.

1) How to make games load on the secondary monitor.

2) How to get the settings file for those games to recognize the resolution for my TV instead of my primary monitor. My tv runs at 1920 x 1080 and the primary runs at 1680 x 1050.

Is this possible? Do I need to instead have my secondary monitor run everything else and my primary run the games? For instance switch the TV to primary and then have my secondary monitor be the actual PC monitor and use it for browsing internet and such?

1. Games NEVER load to the 2nd monitor. I have never seen a game load to the 2nd Moitor. If it was possible you would have to do it form the GAME options.

2. AGain this is a GAME option.

You are confused as to what UltraMon is. It is only a Dual Screen Management application. It is not created to force applications to one screen or another. It is not made to force resolution.

UltraMon is only a tool that you can use to use dual monitors in a setup and have them act semi-independently. It allows for Wallpapers and that to be distinct on each monitor but overall the rest is still controlled by Windows.

UltraMon can not force any application anywhere. It can not Force a resolution. It can only do the simpliest things.

You will have to switch priorties to the TV to get that to run the games if you want. But also knowing this you will not have your start menu on the PC Screen.

You can not post in OT cause you do not have 40 Posts. This is a Windows related question or a PC Gaming related Question. I choose Windows cause you are asking about a Specific Windows app. Which in the description of the Windows area says:

Discussion Microsoft Windows OS & software support!

I would think that UltraMon would be considered support software.

It's been a while since I used ultramon, but IIRC, you could 'send' any application to the secondary monitor using the smart taskbar. Not sure if it could be launched on the secondary display.
UltraMon Features - Smart Taskbar
I used Ultramon with a dual 17" monitor setup (identical resolution) a couple of years ago, and I used to be able to play the game maximized on one screen and have speedfan or Asus probe active on the other screen.

1. Games NEVER load to the 2nd monitor. I have never seen a game load to the 2nd Moitor. If it was possible you would have to do it form the GAME options.

2. AGain this is a GAME option.

You are confused as to what UltraMon is. It is only a Dual Screen Management application. It is not created to force applications to one screen or another. It is not made to force resolution.

UltraMon is only a tool that you can use to use dual monitors in a setup and have them act semi-independently. It allows for Wallpapers and that to be distinct on each monitor but overall the rest is still controlled by Windows.

UltraMon can not force any application anywhere. It can not Force a resolution. It can only do the simpliest things.

You will have to switch priorties to the TV to get that to run the games if you want. But also knowing this you will not have your start menu on the PC Screen.

You can not post in OT cause you do not have 40 Posts. This is a Windows related question or a PC Gaming related Question. I choose Windows cause you are asking about a Specific Windows app. Which in the description of the Windows area says:

Discussion Microsoft Windows OS & software support!

I would think that UltraMon would be considered support software.

You are half wrong half right. I want to get this done tonight, so i searched for ways, within 5 minutes i didnt find any thing so i went on my own and did what i THOUGHT would work.

Okay, i'm making a tutorial(my first) so bare with me if it doesnt make sense, leme know, i konw thi smay be too late any ways but oh wells.

This tutorial will be from top to bottom on setting up a home monitor setup HOWEVER in relation to this POST, please skip to STEP B.

STEP A.

-Have ultramon installed. right click, display properties. This one shoudl be easy, basically set the resolutions of each screen, set which one will be primary which one secondary(automatically chosen once you set a prim.). and just move them left right or top or bottom depending on what you want.

-In this case, i'm going to have the FULL HD TV 32" be MONITOR 2, and the 22" computer monitor be MONITOR 1.

-I set monitor 1 to be primary,and UNDER neath monitor 2.

- when applied, you may notice the task bar(with the startmenu) is atop, dont worry, just unlock it and drag it down :D.

Now go right click the tray icon for ultramon, goto display profiles, New profile, and basically same setup, give it a name for e.g BASIC USE. den pic a folder location.

thats a profile saved for basic use,where everythign opens up on the bottom monitor (22").

STEP B

-right click ultramon and goto display profiles, new profile. Make MOnitor 2 the primary, keeping the settings as IS. Set the name saving as GAMES SETUP. and pick the location you want(why not the same?) to save in to.

ALRITE CONCLUSION --

Now when you want to play games, just right click ultramon and den display profiles and pick the GAMES SETUP profile. Everthign looks the same so its good, only tihgn is everythign opens up on the top monitor, i.e Monitor 2, there fore you can play all your games there, and just feel free to throw other windows on the MONITOR 1 whilst playing games :D (minimize first duh).

When youre done, just change the profile back :D.

Hope you understand why i made two steps :)

If you create a profile the you can set it up anyway you want with any software. I can create a profile with my nVidia settings and have it load to my other monitor.

The point was having it do it by default without creating a separate profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom