My CD/DVD drive doesn't show up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eukaryotical

Beta member
Hi.

For a while now, I've been having problems with my DVD drive. It doesn't show up when I turn on my computer. Originally, I was able to solve my problem by going to the device manager and uninstalling it, but now it doesn't even show up there. What else... Um, I know that I don't have any virus/spyware stuff on my computer. If it helps, my computer is an HP Pavillion dv9000, I'm using Windows Vista. Can't remember what my DVD drive is exactly, but it's a Pioneer.

So yeah, I'm not good with computers, obviously. Any solutions? :(

Also, I think I read something about going to the registry editor and removing an "upper filter", or something like that. So I removed it. That might have led to more problems.

Thanks!

Have your tried a new ide or sata (whichever is applicable) cable to the drive?
rechecked the power connection?
tried a different ide or sata (whichever is applicable) connection on the motherboard?
tried said drive in another computer?
tried a different drive in your computer?

Have your tried a new ide or sata (whichever is applicable) cable to the drive?
rechecked the power connection?
tried a different ide or sata (whichever is applicable) connection on the motherboard?
tried said drive in another computer?
tried a different drive in your computer?

Sorry, but I don't know what any of that means. I downloaded the file on this page, unzipped it and ran it, and when I rebooted my drive showed up again. When I came back to it this morning though, it stopped showing up, and even worse, the same solution won't work. If it helps, when I put a CD inside, it seems to make a noise as if it's reading the disc. It just won't show up anywhere.

If Im right thats a HD DVD drive.
I'm guessing your still able to eject the disc tray to put in/take our your discs.. so its not completely dead. One idea would be to delete upper and lower filters on registry editor
How you would go about that..
The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
Sometimes even windows updates or installing a new program/drivers can cause a problem.. so think back and see if you installed any new updates just before it stopped working. If youve got a system restore point on a similar date it stopped working.. see if you can restore successfully and if the drive is recognised. Otherwise do what Hefemeister said... check the actual hardware is working properly.. if you have enough knowledge finally open the laptop up and try what he has said. You don't want to go and buy a new DVD drive if you know another one wont work.

If Im right thats a HD DVD drive.
I'm guessing your still able to eject the disc tray to put in/take our your discs.. so its not completely dead. One idea would be to delete upper and lower filters on registry editor
How you would go about that..
The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista
Sometimes even windows updates or installing a new program/drivers can cause a problem.. so think back and see if you installed any new updates just before it stopped working. If youve got a system restore point on a similar date it stopped working.. see if you can restore successfully and if the drive is recognised. Otherwise do what Hefemeister said... check the actual hardware is working properly.. if you have enough knowledge finally open the laptop up and try what he has said. You don't want to go and buy a new DVD drive if you know another one wont work.

I tried removing the filters a while back, there was only an "upper" filter, deleting it didn't help. System restore won't work because the earliest I can go back is 7/18 and I've been having the problem for longer than that. Definitely not experienced enough to fix it myself. So I'm probably going to have to get a new one?

Depending how old your computer is, HP might send you a replacement drive.
But I wouldnt go out and buy one if I didnt know whether another drive would work..

go into hardware manager -> go into disk drives -> see if yours is labled there. I had the same problem after i installed game drive and watched a bonus DVD from a cd i bought. somehow my drive got disabled. I could help you even more after you do that stuff, thats about as much info as i can give out without actually knowing full details. Like sibit said, you may just have to remove the filters if "virtual drives" were installed either intentionallly or "mystically". email me at
thunderx91(@)yahoo.com. I can help you from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom