Internet Connection

nathan1989

Solid State Member
Hi all. For the past 9 hours I have been unable to get online on my PC. I have an internet connection but for some reason the computer won't let me go online for anything (including updates). I've searched google all day and tried many things but then I remembered the help I had from here before SL thought I'd give it a shot.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nathan.

Edit: I don't know if this is relevant but my windows update won't even start up anymore either. I always get the message windows update cannot startup. You may need to restart your computer.

Last edited:
Well, let's tackle the internet issue first.

Open Device Manager and make sure the driver for your network card(s) is working properly (i.e. doesn't have a yellow exclamation mark on it).

Now, open command prompt (Start -> Type 'cmd' [without quotes] -> press Enter), and type in:

ipconfig /all

Post the output here (blur out your MAC/Physical addresses though).

As for Windows Update not starting...make sure your date/time are set correctly first of all. If they're set correctly, then press Start -> type 'Services' (without quotes) -> Enter.

Make sure the 2 following services are running and set to Automatic for Startup Type:
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Windows Update

Have you tried restarting your modem and router if you have one? I've came across this problem, and a simple restart can possibly fix the problem. If the suggestions made to you doesn't work, might have to contact your ISP.

Thank you for replies. I decided in the end (after searching the internet gmfor about 13 hours over 2 days) to just reinstall windows. Everything is back to normal now.

Thanks again :)

Fair enough - I usually only suggest that in a "last resort" but your decision. I like to learn / figure out why something wasn't working, personally :p. That way if it happens again in the future, I can fix it.

If it happens again....I'll reinstall windows again lol. Plus I think I caused it by deleting something by accident. All good 😊

If it happens again....I'll reinstall windows again lol. Plus I think I caused it by deleting something by accident. All good 😊

Smart option would be to get all your software installed/settings configured... and then create an image of your machine and save it on an external drive or secondary HDD (using CloneZilla or Acronis). Then if you need to reinstall....you don't have to waste a lot of time with reinstalling everything :p.

Good idea. Whats the best way to go about doing all of that? I've got an external hard drive I can use.

Create a LiveCD or LiveUSB of CloneZilla: Clonezilla - About

Boot off of the disc or flash drive, and use the "device-image" option.
Then select "localdev" -> then "savedisk" option. Then make sure you're selecting the source/destination properly, and let it do it's thing.

If you prefer a GUI, then you can look into Acronis, but I've always had good luck with CloneZilla (and it's free), so I've just stuck with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom