If I change my motherboard, must I reinstall Windows Vista Business?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I have a friend that needs a working computer...

I have some old parts laying around and put them together...

The MB, and GF7050VT-M (V1.0) I ran in my dad's computer for 5 years, 24/7, and it worked flawlessly with the E2200. I have a new and different MB [DDR3 vs. DDR2], and was thinking I should switch out the MB before sending this rig to my friend. I would like to avoid any unnecessary problems in the next 2-5 years with this computer if I can help it.

Two questions:

What is the normal life of a MB?

Thanks,

Soar

Not sure about Vista, but research SYSPREP. It might let you squeeze by.

I have a friend that needs a working computer...

I have some old parts laying around and put them together...

The MB, and GF7050VT-M (V1.0) I ran in my dad's computer for 5 years, 24/7, and it worked flawlessly with the E2200. I have a new and different MB [DDR3 vs. DDR2], and was thinking I should switch out the MB before sending this rig to my friend. I would like to avoid any unnecessary problems in the next 2-5 years with this computer if I can help it.

Two questions:

Thanks,

Soar

If you change out motherboards and cpus at once, MS calls that a change to system installation id.
Meaning your oem or retail key is tide to what your hardware is based off of.
If its a retail key, you would be better off reinstalling and starting out fresh.
If this is oem key, you *might* not be able to slide by..
However call ms yourself and tell them your machine died and everything with it.
Tell them you bought the same brand mobo and intel chip.
The microsott rep will look at his database and see how many times you've reinstalled this key with.

If you used it on one machine like I do every year, they should excuse you from this and let you use the key again.

I'd make sure you handle the reinstalls and registrations yourself to keep everything simple from install to ms ringup activation.

It's really dependant on the mobos.

What is the board being replaced?

Hi Paton!

I inspected the old MB which is an ECS GF7050VT-M (V1.0) [Elite Group], and all the capacitors appear to be free from swelling or any outer burn marks or deformities.

The new MB I have is also an ECS...it is a G41T-M7. The old MB requires DDR2, whereas this new MB requires DDR3.

To be honest with you, I kind of wish I had begun this build with the new MB. I have spent 2-3 weeks with the build and all the downloads and updates...

My friend lives in Wyoming and I would like this computer gift to last a long time.

Have you any suggestions?

Soar

Not sure about Vista, but research SYSPREP. It might let you squeeze by.

Ok, will do!

If you change out motherboards and cpus at once, MS calls that a change to system installation id.
Meaning your oem or retail key is tide to what your hardware is based off of.
If its a retail key, you would be better off reinstalling and starting out fresh.
If this is oem key, you *might* not be able to slide by..
However call ms yourself and tell them your machine died and everything with it.
Tell them you bought the same brand mobo and intel chip.
The microsott rep will look at his database and see how many times you've reinstalled this key with.

If you used it on one machine like I do every year, they should excuse you from this and let you use the key again.

I'd make sure you handle the reinstalls and registrations yourself to keep everything simple from install to ms ringup activation.

I was gonna leave the Intel E2200 in the rig...was thinking of switching out the used ECS GF7050VT-M (V1.0) for a new ECS G41T-M7 that I picked up for $3 a couple of years ago and new used it.

Would switching these two MB's cause a red flag to go up at Microsoft and give us trouble?

The Vista Business OS was given to me via Dream Spark via my account with IEEE/ACM.

Soar

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paton!

I was gonna leave the Intel E2200 in the rig...was thinking of switching out the used ECS GF7050VT-M (V1.0) for a new ECS G41T-M7 that I picked up for $3 a couple of years ago and new used it.

Would switching these two MB's cause a red flag to go up at Microsoft and give us trouble?

The Vista Business OS was given to me via Dream Spark via my account with IEEE/ACM.

Soar

No it shouldn't its like I mention before, since your going with the same brand as your last mobo with cpu.
They really shouldn't care about that, if you have been using the key on different machines over the years they may tell you can't.
Hit start, type my computer in the search bar, right click on my computer hit properties.

Look at your system window and note which version of windows you got oem or retail ?
If its retail just go ahead and install and activate by phone.
If its oem version of vista business call them up after you do the installation and see if they'll let use the key again.

If its retail just go ahead and install and activate by phone.
If its oem version of vista business call them up after you do the installation and see if they'll let use the key again.

It's the same procedure either way, just an FYI. 99% of the time you'll just go through the automated system with OEM. I think I've only had to speak to a person like once, and that was when a client had apparently been using a pirated version of XP because it wouldn't reactivate so they had to buy a new OS. Otherwise, I've always hit the automated system and gone though every time.

@OP: Retail machines you get 3 activations; OEM you technically only get 1 but can call the number in the activation Window (when you choose Activate By Phone).

I believe DreamSpark keys are OEM - can't remember off hand what they're considered though.

The only issue is having to reinstall, but as both are intel chipsets, very likely you'll be able to salvage the OS with just a re-activation call.

That and he will need to recheck the drivers on the current partition to make sure windows will be able to use them or get new ones.
Done the same thing over the years usually I just run a system check and repair before updating windows.

That and he will need to recheck the drivers on the current partition to make sure windows will be able to use them or get new ones.
Done the same thing over the years usually I just run a system check and repair before updating windows.

Windows should auto detect most of it and install basic drivers, but yes, OP should check Device Manager and see if there are any missing drivers, and/or get updated ones from the manufacturer websites.

Back
Top Bottom