hard drive space required for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear with me now, Virtual machine and VMWare is all new to me. Are you saying set up virtual machine on the pc in my sig? How does this work?

It works just as it sounds. You create a virtual machine. A PC within your PC. It runs from within your current install of Windows. you give it space, give it resources to use and install Windows to test it out.

Definition:

program for sharing computer resources: a program running on a computer that creates a self-contained operating environment and presents the appearance to the user of a different computer. A virtual machine simulates at a minimum the instruction set of the computer it emulates

I was a complete noob to Virtual Machines. It's NOT hard at all to setup a virtual machine. Get your Virtual Machine software of choice. VirtualBox is free for personal/evaluation use. You can get information and a user manual at VirtualBox

I am guessing that using a virtual machine would be easier than using the older computer. Where would I download this and how easy is this to use? Is it pretty much self explanatory? I do not risk losing any information, do I?

What is the difference between Virtual Machine and WMWare? Which one should I be using?

Thanks for all your help so far.

VMWare is a virtual machine. That is the name. Virtual Machine Ware. ;)

95black gave you a link to virtualbox which is really simple and self explanatory to setup. You wont lose anything cause everything that you do with the virtual machine is contained within the virtual machine software you use.

Out of personal reference, I like VMWare Workstation over VirtualBox, no real difference, other than was is free, and the other you only have a 30 day trial. It's definitely not worth the $190 IF you're only going to use it to test out a couple operating systems. If you are going to be beta testing, reviewing and tweaking. It would be justified to buy it for that price. I don't know if there is a different VMWare product that is more like VirtualBox, but that's the one I got pointed at, so I used it. Seems to run better on my computer, than VirtualBox too.

There is a free version of VMWare. It just isnt in depth and feature rich as the paid versions.

I am giving VirtualBox a try. I am in the process of creating a new virtual machine and I am at the step asking about the hard disk. Do I create a create a new hard disk or use existing hard disk?

I got a problem. When I get to the screen where it selects the driver to be installed, I get a message saying "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, DVD or usb flash drive, please insert it now. If the Windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step." When I click ok, I get a another message saying "no device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers."

I'm not sure but I think this could be part of the problem. The Windows 7 file that I downloaded is a .DLM file. Should it be a .ISO file?

Now I have Windows 7 32bit file downloaded that is an .ISO file. I am guessing that I have to use the 64bit version since I am running 64bit right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom