"File not found" when launching an executable file

Petijandro

Solid State Member
If I launch an executable file on my system (it doesn't matter if it is on a DVD or on my HDD) it prompts the "File not found." error, but when I rename it, it works like a charm.
For instance I had to unpack the Origin's installer and launch the exe within (after renaming of course) to install the client because it didnt launch otherwise.

What OS are you running?

Try this: FixExec Download

Also, have you run scans for malware? Some strains out there like to hijack the .EXE extension - run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware and see if it turns anything up just in case.

I gave it a go but couldn't solve the problem. I'm running W7 Pro x64. Thanks for the tip anyway :)

The interesting thing is that I could easily execute those 2 files, but I can't install any other applications like games. Maybe something that helps unpack those installers is not functioning well?

Last edited:
That's possible.

Does the error message say anything more other than "File not found" ?

No, just the "File not found" and sometimes the
Windows cannot find make sure you typed the name correctly then try again error message

Did this just start to happen out of nowhere? Did you do any updates or the likes around the time this began?

Yes, it did. I do not remember updating the OS at that time. I scheduled a registry+disk check from Tune Up Utilities a while ago but it always fails to run and the OS start with an error message. I'm suspecting that it might have something to do with it or it is completely different?

Tune Up Utilities has a reputation for damaging more computers than it fixes! It's possible, are you running the 2014 version? Do you mean when you start up the computer you are getting a Error Message straight away? What error msg does it give you?

Good to hear.. It is a portable version I got with some software. It is the 2014 version yes. I do not know the exact error message but it is something like "component's name" component is missing - Tune up cannot perform the scan. I will check it when I get home. Can I make changes in the OS's boot process so I could remove it?

Some additional things to check would be to make sure your .NET Framework version is up to date. Try this:

Start -> type cmd -> Right click the cmd entry -> Run as Admin -> in the black console window, type: sfc /scannow

Let it do it's thing and see if that turns anything up.

Back
Top Bottom