Database software

mwwwilson

In Runtime
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

I am starting a course in Database management and we have to choose database software to use. We are given free will to choose whatever we like. No MS ACCESS though.

My question is which one would be the most beneficial to choose?

Oracle or SQL Server? or any other?

Please be as specific as possible... meaning product name, version, etc.

BTW... I am running Win 8.1 Professional. If I need to run in a VM using another OS I can easily set that up.

I need an answer by 5pm tomorrow (Wednesday). That will give me time to find it, download it, and start messing with it.

My project is to just find one and install it.

I just want to choose something that is going to be relevant in the "real" world. One that is commonly used by companies because I might as well learn what's out there.

Thanks in advance.
Mark W

I used SQL Server Express w/ Tools for when I took my Databse Management course. I like it for actual development work vs. using MySQL - though MySQL is still alright.

Mostly depends on what language you're planning on programming in (if you do indeed need to code applications to interface with your DB).

Either way, my suggestion is SQL Server (mainly because I'm a .NET Developer, lol). Both SQL Server and MySQL are free to use, so just depends which you'd rather use. All 3 are used by companies (SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle) - though I'd say SQL Server may be slightly more common (don't quote me on that).

does oracle even have a free product? I can't even come p with a reason to use it. I guess if someone already knew how to use it, then it would be ok to use.

Also, this style is kinda odd for a class. considering each is going to have their nuances such as different keywords, syntaxes, and features.

if you are looking to score an office job, I would choose ms sql. if you would rather choose freelance web development, then I would choose MySQL. MySQL is more prominent with cheap web hosts.

does oracle even have a free product? I can't even come p with a reason to use it. I guess if someone already knew how to use it, then it would be ok to use.

Also, this style is kinda odd for a class. considering each is going to have their nuances such as different keywords, syntaxes, and features.

if you are looking to score an office job, I would choose ms sql. if you would rather choose freelance web development, then I would choose MySQL. MySQL is more prominent with cheap web hosts.
^
He's right - MySQL limits to 10 concurrent connected users - and Microsoft SQL Server has CALs for how many devices will be connecting to it.

Both are good to have a common grasp of, depending on your goals, because different environments such as offices and web environments have different demands that one or another can accommodate.

Last edited:
^
He's right - MySQL limits to 10 concurrent connected users - and Microsoft SQL Server has CALs for how many devices will be connecting to it.

Both are good to have a common grasp of, depending on your goals, because different environments such as offices and web environments have different demands that one or another can accommodate.

That's a configuration setting that you can change. Though you usually don't need to change it because concurrent connections are quickly ended unless you're doing a lot of huge or inefficient queries.

Thank you all for the info. Yes it is odd for class to do this but we are given free will for software, usually. We will be doing some work in all three of the DB's mentioned (SQL Svr, MySQL, and Oracle). So we are given some freedom for choosing what we wish to use for certain generic lab lessons. I have decided to use SQL Server. It just seems to be the best fit.

Again thanks for all the info.
Mark W

Back
Top Bottom