chkdsk -f on reboot bails: "Volume is clean"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
as the title says. I have reason to believe the filesystem is corrupted, getting read errors in spite of healthy disks and storage controllers, several explorer hangs, etc...

I run:

ECHO y|CHKDSK C: /F /X /R
SHUTDOWN /R /T 0

The system reboots and goes into the chkdsk console, but doesn't scan the disk, just reports "Volume is clean", then continues booting Windows.
Event viewer does not show any entry for WinLogon following this.

If the /f switch will not force it around this behavior, is there another way?

might want to goto the manufacturer's website for disk utilities

edit - question is what does volume is clean mean?

why chkdsk fails to rectify ntfs errors

Drive failure?
A failing hard drive will also cause this problem. One of my favorite tools it the Drive Fitness Test, I like it because it works on many different drives and gives good info on the drive type, manufacturer and size which will enable you to download the diagnostic specific to your drive without having to disassemble your computer. But I like it most because it will tell you if your drive is fit or not fit.

DFT here: Support - Downloads and Utilities
Posted: 02/18/2007 @ 07:38 AM (PST) (edited 02/18/2007 @ 07:40 AM (PST))
Michael Jay 12
Job Role: Technical/PC Support

The WD Diag utility will not run through my drive controller. Seatools will, but only on the Seagate drive on a master channel. Same for MHDD - master channels only. IBM-Hitachi DFT runs on all of them. From the OS, only the Intel SATA chipset with RAIDBIOS monitor works... it got a lot of errors before updating the driver, but after updating the driver and clearing the errors, none have appeared... however I think some filesystem errors occurred due to the driver fault, and I want to fix them.

Of all the drive tests that will run, they all pass with flying colors, excepting the 1.5TB drives, which pass SeaTools and DFT, but fail MHDD.

Bumping rather than editing due to significant status change...

The Intel Matrix Storage Console is reporting a drive failure again. It's a Seagate 250GB less than 6 months old, which passes Seatools and DFT with flying colors. I can't run MHDD on it without moving it to a different SATA channel, though I'm tempted to do that now.

I'm running nightly backups via TrueImage of my two more critical partitions, for System and Data, so hopefully I won't lose anything if it explodes, though I do need to have a working Windows install with the storage drivers on it before I can restore, so this could become a problem since I don't have that in place yet.

What do you recommend?

There was a recent report on Seagate drives having firmware issues causing the drives to go haywire, you may want to check and see if yours in one of the affected ones.

Those were the 1.5 TB drives that had that issue, and I already updated the firmware on both of those. The one that's showing errors in the SATA controller now is the 250GB one.

Cunjo is this the onboard SATA or is it a PCI card? if it is onboard I would give a BIOS update a shot as last time I saw somthing like this there was a funky BIOS issue with a HP pavillion that caused the problem.

Cunjo is this the onboard SATA or is it a PCI card? if it is onboard I would give a BIOS update a shot as last time I saw somthing like this there was a funky BIOS issue with a HP pavillion that caused the problem.

Onboard SATA, and I already updated the BIOS 2 weeks ago. I can see if there's another update, but meh...

EDIT: I just checked their website, and they haven't updated the BIOS since I last flashed it. GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45C-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Why did you flash the BIOS in the first place was it to fix a issue or was it just to have the latest version? Was this a existing problem before the BIOS update or has it only happened since the update?

I was having random disk driver related crashes before. I flashed it before updating the matrix storage driver in hopes of resolving the issue. Issue still exists now, but in a different form. Instead I'm getting random resets of the computer hardware, presumably due to a video driver fault, and a visible error in the matrix storage manager pointing to the newest of the 4 250GB drives (the only non-WD one)

EDIT:
Okay, it just hung again during a nightly differential backup op... it spat out a bunch of delayed write errors for C:\, then bluescreened with a "Unknown Hard Error", generating no error logs or crash dumps. Now the RAIDBIOS and Matrix Storage Manager are reporting the drives on BOTH SATA channels 1 and 3 as bad, which I seriously doubt to be accurate, since they passed all hardware diagnostics I could throw at them.

This is starting to get me annoyed, and is leading to data corruption. I'm essentially dead in the water until I can get it taken care of at this point.

ALL drivers and firmware are current at this point, right down to the Blu-Ray drive. BIOS is up to date, and I have nothing to go on in terms of software or drivers. I have every reason to believe it's the SATA driver, but no way to fix it, since A: the driver is current, and B: the only way to reinstall the driver, is with a floppy, while reinstalling Windows.

EDIT2: in other news, Windows automatically went into a chkdsk on rebooting this time, and attempted to recover the files that failed to write when the system locked up... I couldn't get it to verify file or free space, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom