Can't reach desktop

chara33

Daemon Poster
I have a PC that was working fine 3 weeks ago and havent used it since. I turned it on the other day to use it. It booted up, got to the 4 blue boxes for windows and expected to load my desktop but it didnt. I tried using gparted live and then install windows 8 again, saw the 4 blue boxes again and loaded devices and then no desktop again. What could be causing this?

I tried using 2 different HD's. 2 different dvd players, 1 integrated video card and 1 I installed. I have tried windows 8 and 8.1 but cant seem to get to my desktop. Can someone plz help.

thx

Seems like a hardware issue crashing the startup, Have you tried removing the ram and booting with one stick at a time, If a stick went bad it would stop the boot, Also do you get the blue screem or just locking up at the logo?

Used gparted to delete and add a partition for win 7. Everything loaded fine. Rebooted win 7 and could not get onto my desktop. For the heck of it i loaded pc into safe mode with internet access and it worked fine.

Why in safe mode I can reach my desktop but not in normal mode. Any ideas?

thx

Last edited:
That generally points to a driver issue. You can look at event viewer for any errors or type "reliability" in to search box and select view reliability history and see if that shows any particular errors too

Joe, I will give that a try tomorrow and if I dont see an issues someone suggested i do this:

Try this: (via CMD)

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

active

exit

Then re-install your Windows 7, but do not install drivers.

Do you agree with them?

thx

I personally prefer a clean install. It's not necessary do to the diskpart because you can partition and format the drive during the install set up

if I have a drive that's acting funky or unusual install issues, I'll zero it out with Killdisk

Last edited:
Joe, I have a .doc file I could copy and paste it to this thread but prefer to send it to you.

Is there a way to do that?

thx

I personally prefer a clean install. It's not necessary do to the diskpart because you can partition and format the drive during the install set up

if I have a drive that's acting funky or unusual install issues, I'll zero it out with Killdisk

Is there a way to do a clean install without installing drivers? If so, how plz?

thx

?????- You'll need drivers.

Go to the manufactures web site and get your drivers, if you have an oem pc or a custom pc then go to their web site's support page and enter the model and serial number. If it's a custom pc then open it up to find the brand name and model number of the motherboard.
Download your drivers to another medium like a flash drive or disk, Format your hard drive and install windows and when your done install the drivers that you downloaded.
Generally I install the chipset drivers first followed by the video, audio and ethernet (LAN)

Joe, I have a .doc file I could copy and paste it to this thread but prefer to send it to you.

Is there a way to do that?

thx

If it's <100kb, then you can attach it to the thread. Otherwise, upload it to a filesharing site, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.

Back
Top Bottom