Black screen of Death vista

Jeckert

Solid State Member
OK Here is my problem.
My aunt has a windows vista computer and not a lot of money to buy a new one. so she asks me to fix it. When trying to boot up window I get what I now know as the black screen of death (black screen and cursor). So i go into safe mode. Black screen of death. so i try last known good configuration. Black screen of death. Thinking it may be a virus i pull hard drive out of computer and slave it to mine and run avast and malwarebytes. find some viruses and remove them. try to boot in safe mode again. Black screen of death. i back up her data and decide to install to factory. go into the recovery partition and find a login of other user. cant get into the factory partition. got a hold of a dell vista disk tried to install from it and get a error during the initial setup. i can find fixes for one half or the other online but not for both. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

sorry not at home to give exact error message.
but it could not find the hard drive.
i was wonderinging if it was because the recovery partition is there

If it's giving an error that it cannot find the HDD, then it's possible that the HDD is dead/dying.

If your Vista disc has the Startup Repair option on it, you could boot off of the disc, go into the Repair option, open up Command Prompt, and run a disk check:
chkdsk C: /f /r

Back
Top Bottom