.Bat file network commands?

Epifire

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I've recently been getting into making my own custom batch files for various tasks I seem to be performing a lot. I recently linked my old XP Machine to my main rig running 7, as I've needed to transfer a lot of files between the two.

My old mod tools and compiling systems are on the XP machine since they don't wanna work well on newer OS'. So while the backward compatibility is handy, I much rather run and test the maps on my new PC. So I end up copying over a lot of files through the network I've setup between the two.

I do a ton of test compiles so I've been wondering if it were possible to make a batch file (on the Win 7 rig) to retrieve the map (or any additional files) and overwrite the existing ones on my main rig. The path I tried running in a move function before was: \\XP-MACHINE-A\BFBuilder\AddOn\tes1

The folder tes1 is supposed to be copied to overwrite: D:\Games\Lucasarts\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\AddOn\tes1

I tried using a move command but for some reason the system wasn't recognizing the path name (as the command worked fine for files on the same PC). I've tried to research network path based commands for batch files, and it seems like this should work. Maybe I typed part of the path out wrong, but I'd tried for a couple hours to no avail. Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with how this could work (or if it's not actually viable).

PS: Sorry if I didn't post this in the right part of the forums, as this is the closest I could think to where this would belong. ;)

Last edited:
Oh wow xcopy did the trick. If I can mod the compiler I use (which actually runs it's outputs off of batch files) I'll just set it's output directory to my main rig, and bypass having to use an extra bat.

Thanks a bunch, so simple but I feel 3x smarter now! :)

Back
Top Bottom