About reformatting and drivers

Deanna Marie

Solid State Member
I'm wondering if someone can help guide me in reformatting my computer and what are the important drivers I'll need to install, after I've installed Windows XP... I don't have the disks to the drivers I'll need, so I need to find where to download them from online. I have an Asustek and I know I need Audio, Video and Network drivers. Are these the only 3 I need? Or do I need to look for other drivers, as well?!

I've never reformatted a computer before, so I'm really new at this. I do have a windows disk so I'm pretty confident I can do the windows install myself. I'm just not sure how to begin the reformatting, and not sure exactly which are the important drivers I'll need.

Thank you for the help...
:):cool:

Last edited:
Video, audio, chipset, ethernet, wireless (if you have a wireless card) are the main ones.

You can find out what Video/audio/ethernet devices you have by looking in Device Manager and looking on the manufacturers' sites or by googling the brand/model number of the device you need the driver for.

It honestly depends on the motherboard and devices... Newer AMD motherboards use one large package for Chipset, Audio, and Video anymore, intel may be the same. Can you give us a computer model? Or the model numbers and brands of the hardware present inside the case?

Thank you! I have successfully reformatted and re-installed Windows XP Professional (SP 3). However, I cannot seem to get some programs working again. I cannot seem to get any XP Themes to work, nor, can I update my IE Browser. The only reason I want to update the IE is because when I install a program, it always says that it cannot finish the install or the program won't work, and it says, it's because I don't have the latest IE, at least IE 10, is what it says. I have tried to install Sims, and XP Themes and neither will work.

Do I need to update it? I'm wondering about the chipset drivers, and not sure how important it is, will installing chipset drivers fix these problems?

:) I have already installed the network drivers and audio drivers, but not the video drivers, yet. When I install the video drivers, will that fix the problems?

Thank you again, for the help... :)

Last edited:
Thank you! I have successfully reformatted and re-installed Windows XP Professional (SP 3). However, I cannot seem to get some programs working again. I cannot seem to get any XP Themes to work, nor, can I update my IE Browser. The only reason I want to update the IE is because when I install a program, it always says that it cannot finish the install or the program won't work, and it says, it's because I don't have the latest IE, at least IE 10, is what it says. I have tried to install Sims, and XP Themes and neither will work.

Do I need to update it? I'm wondering about the chipset drivers, and not sure how important it is, will installing chipset drivers fix these problems?

:) I have already installed the network drivers and audio drivers, but not the video drivers, yet. When I install the video drivers, will that fix the problems?

Thank you again, for the help... :)

More than likely the video driver is the issue

Thank you. So the updating of the video drivers will help my Sims game to actually play, as well? And will that really work to help me get my xp themes to actually work on my desktop? Because, the themes I have downloaded, installed, won't load at all. The Theme which includes icons and the design change to the start bar. I'm just curious, and I will post an update if this does improve once I'm able to install the update to the video drivers...

Thank you again for the advice and tips. :) <3

Yes, you'll need to install your video drivers (and Direct X) for Sims to run properly.

Also make sure you get all the .NET Frameworks installed - could also be part of your problem.

Chipset drivers are also a good idea to install.

Okay, Thank You... I'm having troubles finding the proper video drivers. I tried to install the Direct X that came with the Sims Disk... Here are the details of my computer, if you can help me find the proper direct link to install the right ones, that'd be great. Thank you. And, can you send me a link to where I can download and install the .NET Frameworks? I'm not sure how to do that... Thank you so much... :) Can you tell me (knowledge based) what the significance and importance of the chipset? How important is it? Is it just to improve performance? Or is that absolutely needed? Thank you... :)

Computer
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Disk Drives
Hitachi HDP725050GLA360
Display Adapters
Intel(R)82945G Express Chipset Family
DVD/CD/CD-ROM Drives
_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
OPTiarc DVD RW AD-7240S
FLOPPY DISK Controllers
Standard Floppy disk controller
Floppy Disk Drives