XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my wife bought a new laptop. its our first windows 8 :confused: machine. the question i am going to ask (as opposed to the 50 or so i could ask) is, can i still make a system restore dvd like i can with windows vista and 7? i looked for a way to do it, but had no luck finding it. its new, and if i can, now is the time to do it, before something gets screwed up.

Do you mean like the manufacturer recovery disc? If they provided the option to then yes.

Or do you mean using something like Windows Backup?

You could also always just make an image using something like CloneZilla and store it on an external HDD or somewhere so you can restore back.

There's also usually a recovery partition on the HDD that you can use, so you don't need recovery discs.

i was thinking like the factory recovery discs that used to come with every new machine. they pretty much quit doing that as far as i know. when Vista came out, you were supposed to make your own. i know there is a recovery sector in the hard drive. what i am not sure of is if that can be corrupted if we got a nasty virus or trojan. if that is a possibility, i want to make some kind of external recovery media, just in case.

Just search for "Recovery" or something similar by pressing the Start button (or the WIndows key on your keyboard). If you can't find it by doing that, there should be instructions either included with the laptop or on the manufacturer's website on how to create the restore discs.

Back
Top Bottom