32 vs 64

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i am not really sure where to post this, but i am a little confused on the 32 vs 64 bit thing. from what i understand its the amount of information that can be processed in one length of time, which is determined by the processor speed?? also, is this only software, or does the hardware need to be bit specific (i think the processor would be the only hardware that would be bit specific). so is a 64 bit system twice as fast as a 32 bit system (provided everything is working properly) ? and lastly, would you need twice as much ram (in a 64 bit system) to male the system work up to maximum potential?

the CPU architecture (32 bit / 64 bit) is the bit-width of memory addressed the CPU is capable of pointing to.

In other words, a 32 bit processor is only capable of using 4GB of memory, while a 64bit processor can use as much RAM as your motherboard can support.

See this website for some more details.

Last edited:
32bit and 64bit refer to architecture of hardware/software.

It's mainly geared towards the bus width (32 bits wide vs 64 bits wide) - which gives it the capacity to handle larger "chunks" of data, which enables it to process large chunks of data faster. Think of it like plumbing. IF you have a thin pipe, you can't get as much water through it as quickly as you could with a larger pipe.

Yes, hardware also has to be 64bit. It's not necessarily twice as fast...it just means it can handle more through the bus.

No, you wouldn't need twice as much ram to utilize 64bit.

Here's some more info:
64-bit computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
32-bit and 64-bit explained

WOW! i looked at both articles. but i am going to have to read thru them at least 1 more time each. right now, i have a headache. i am running a 2 bit brain, trying to cram 64 bits into it. it doesn't work, like the articles said! lol.

WOW! i looked at both articles. but i am going to have to read thru them at least 1 more time each. right now, i have a headache. i am running a 2 bit brain, trying to cram 64 bits into it. it doesn't work, like the articles said! lol.

Well that would definitely result in slow data processing! :p

In other words, a 32 bit processor is only capable of using 4GB of memory, while a 64bit processor can use as much RAM as your motherboard can support.

thanks, i had not picked that up yet. so, would it be possible to create a consolidated pack of ram, similar to a ssd? where you would no longer have to have separate sticks of memory. i am not sure where the cutting edge of ram capacity is right now. but if the current processors can use as much as we can install. it makes sense that future processors will be able to use much, much more. or does ram NEED the open surface area to keep cool?

Yes RAM needs at least some airflow as well because they produce heat. That's why most "better" RAM nowadays have heatspreaders encasing the modules.

RAM cannot be 'condensed' any more than it already has when you purchase it.

If you want to install more RAM, you have to purchase a card, and and add it to an open slot.

I have 3 4-GB cards, and one 2-GB card, for a total of 14-GB, as seen here.

If I wanted to add more memory to my setup, I'd have to remove one of the cards (probably the green one), and replace it with a card with a higher capacity. Duct-taping RAM cards together won't increase their capacity. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom