Semi-Urgent:Dell Studio 1737 charger not working

kisamokichi

Solid State Member
I have a dell studio 1737. I just bought a new charger for it less than a year ago after having the original charger since I got this laptop, almost 7 years ago. The first one still works, but its touchy, which is why I bought this second one. Its an official dell charger, no doubt about that. But it has been being touchy these past few weeks. Just today, it stopped working completely, and I am now running on 20% battery power typing this. Usually, before, when it was being touchy, I'd just have to wiggle the non-detachable part a little and it would work, but now it isnt working at all. I have some intermediate technical know-how, so If I have to take it apart I will. I just need a short-time solution until I can get a new one in a few weeks. Anyone?

About to die anytime now...

Last edited:
Are you sure it's something with the charger, and not something with the laptop?

Have you verified that the charger is outputting the correct voltage/amperage? You can do this by using a digital multimeter on your charger.

If the plug wiggles in your AC port, it could be that the actual power plug is broken off / loose inside the laptop itself. Sometimes these are on separate boards and you can get a new power board for cheap - otherwise, you would have to solder the power connector back on.

Yes i am sure its not the laptop. The blue indicator on the charger is not lit up like its supposed to. But i will be buying a whole new charger soon.

Yes i am sure its not the laptop. The blue indicator on the charger is not lit up like its supposed to. But i will be buying a whole new charger soon.

Like I said, you can use a digital multimeter to test the voltage/amperage output to see if it's giving the correct values.

The multimeter says that the charger isn't outputting anything. I'm glad I kept the old charger, which is how I'm typing right now. Will be getting a new charger soon. Thanks guys c:

Back
Top Bottom