Do You Guys Recommend the Sony Vaio Flip?

koolx

Baseband Member
I'm thinking of buying the Sony Vaio Flip 15. I posted the link below for its specs. I read that Sony will discontinue it and sell its PC business. Will this be a problem if I need a part to repair in the future?

I'm a casual gamer, not a die-hard, but read the laptop is good for games. I love the design and how it converts to tablet. But do you guys recommend I get it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KHUUPJ4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/182-9080948-7987066

The laptop you selected looks good. The specs are not best for its price, but the design is awesome.

Do not worry about the repairing. Sony laptops are well-known for their durability. Also, authorized service centers will continue repairing VAIO laptops, even after Sony quitting the laptop market.
Most of hardware details on a laptop are universal for different models (except body parts). So, repairing is not a big deal.

It's expensive for what it is... the GT735M may play modern games at low settings, but it's what I'd call a multimedia chip rather than a gaming chip.

Don't buy it based on the fact it's a Sony though, I've worked in a computer shop where we had multiple Sony laptops come in over a 12 month period. There was a design flaw with a particular model, the motherboard was attached to the base of the laptop, which is plastic and fairly flimsy. When the user opens and closes the laptop lid, it flexes the base of the laptop, putting pressure on the mounting points of the motherboard, flexing the motherboard, and ultimately pulling the heatsink away from the chip. This leads to premature death by overheating.

Keep shopping around, brand isn't everything!

Do not worry about the repairing. Sony laptops are well-known for their durability. Also, authorized service centers will continue repairing VAIO laptops, even after Sony quitting the laptop market.

I bought one 3 months ago. Its a good premium laptop I can tell you. I\m a bit disappointed with the Nvidia gaming chip because i thought I would be able to play games smoothly. It plays modern games smoothly for 10 minutes before heating creeps up and reduces the FPS, which makes games not really that playable.

I'm thinking about buying an external GPU. But someone on another forum told me that it can't be attached to this laptop. If thats the case then I'll just buy a gaming desktop.

It's expensive for what it is... the GT735M may play modern games at low settings, but it's what I'd call a multimedia chip rather than a gaming chip.

Don't buy it based on the fact it's a Sony though, I've worked in a computer shop where we had multiple Sony laptops come in over a 12 month period. There was a design flaw with a particular model, the motherboard was attached to the base of the laptop, which is plastic and fairly flimsy. When the user opens and closes the laptop lid, it flexes the base of the laptop, putting pressure on the mounting points of the motherboard, flexing the motherboard, and ultimately pulling the heatsink away from the chip. This leads to premature death by overheating.

I've visited forums dedicated to this specific laptop. I never heard of complaints about this. I've had this laptop for a while now. And I love it. The only complaint I got is the Nvidia gaming chip. I which it were faster. Theres a workaround I saw on another forum that uses 2 programs to make games smooth. I'll try that.

But honestly, I think that the best way to play games is definitely not with a laptop no matter how advanced it is. As time goes by, software and tech will advance while the laptop wont. This is why I'm considering buying a gaming desktop. Let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom