Is it smart to have 2gb ram in your laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drindahowse

Baseband Member
im gonna use my laptop to download movies,music,pictures etc. and occasionally play games, also download apz and surf the web.

i want to download and surf the web as fast as possible.

i have 512mb ram and i dont like it. i want to upgrade to 1gb or 2gb but, i dont know which one to get. money doesnt matter. i know 1gb is fast but whats the advantage of having 2gb of ram...does it make your downloads really fast? with 2gb, is computer freezing rare? will you be able to "feel' the difference between the two? whats your opinion of 2gb ram on laptops?

Many people have said to me, you hardly will notice the difference between 1 and 2 GB..

No, it wont make ur downloads faster - if you want that, get some high speed internet.. 10mb or so.. (Dunno where you live, crazy in some places..)

I dont think u will 'feel' the difference, from what ive heard anyway..

Plus, 1GB isbasicly saving half your HD budget..

I dont think its worth it.

stick with 512 if i were you. unless you do uber-multitasking, you will not really need 1Gb. downloading will only speed up with higher bandwidth internet, not more ram.

one more question, since i have ddr...

which one is better 2x 512mb
or
1x 1gb

is there a difference because i found the 1gb stick to be cheaper than 2 512mb.

Dual channel should always be quicker. Are these 2x512mb sticks sold together as a pack or are you buying two 512mb sticks separately?

Whether or not they say dual channel on them, or are sold together is really irrelevant. It's your computer that has to support dual channel for it to function that way. Any ram will run in dual channel if the motherboard supports it.

Dean66 said:
Whether or not they say dual channel on them, or are sold together is really irrelevant. It's your computer that has to support dual channel for it to function that way. Any ram will run in dual channel if the motherboard supports it.

Yeah, I know. The reason I asked was because of the price. A dual channel pack is often cheaper than buying two sticks separately.

Depends on what kind of laptop you have drindahowse. I know with makers such as Dell and Gateway they manufacture their own type of RAM (usually the key is moved over so you have to go through them directly, or find a site that deals with them) If your laptop isn't made by anal companies then you could probably find a good pack at NewEgg.com. It's where I usually go an the prices are great. Maybe someone else has a better place though? I do know that if your mobo supports Dual Channel to definitely go with that. And I would suggest getting two stick of 512 in case one goes bad. Better to have to replace one 512 stick rather than an entire gig, in my opinion at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom