WD dilemma

bevolasko

Baseband Member
I have two WD5000BEVT HDDs and a one of those SATA/power to USB adapters and they don't seem to work properly. With a direct SATA connection the computer lags incredibly and freezes. With a USB connection the HDD sometimes clicks continuously every two seconds or so. Sometimes the disk stops after a bit and sometimes it doesn't even start. Re-plugging the HDDs a few times can sometimes settle the problem and currently I'm backing up my system in one of those disks.

Could it be a faulty USB adapter? Bad drivers? Or two faulty disks?

No raid. One drive had the external hdd case with the usb adapter and the other one used to be inside a laptop. I may do some raid once they work properly.

I'm not sure how to do it since the HDDs keep disconnecting themselves.

You could just open up the external hard drive enclosure.
Take off the sata extender off the drive if its on there.
Use a spare sata cable and power connector on the drive if the interface is the same.
Other wise you'll need a sata 2.5 to 3.5 sata converter and get the job done that way.

You could just open up the external hard drive enclosure.
Take off the sata extender off the drive if its on there.
Use a spare sata cable and power connector on the drive if the interface is the same.
Other wise you'll need a sata 2.5 to 3.5 sata converter and get the job done that way.

Yes I already pulled it out from the enclosure however the machine lagged when I inserted one of the drives using a sata cable. I used the optical drive cable because I didn't have any spares.

Yes I already pulled it out from the enclosure however the machine lagged when I inserted one of the drives using a sata cable. I used the optical drive cable because I didn't have any spares.

Whenever you have sata cables on drives lag like that.
Its a sure fire way of saying the cable is going soon and to grab another one.
e-key shop on line|vendita hardware|pc assemblati|componenti PC|elettronica di consumo|miglior prezzo web
Try going here for your parts if they allow in store pickup I'd go get me a sata converter 2.5-3.5 adapter.

Let me know what happens soon.

Back
Top Bottom