Help with computer

Heretic

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm new here, but I have been having trouble with my computer.
Before I start, here are its specs:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: GeForce GTX 660
MB: Msi Z77 MPOWER
PSU: Seasonic 850W
RAM: Some generic DDR3 RAM I'm too lazy to look up
I built it a little over a year ago and until recently it worked fine. Maybe a month ago or more it started doing this thing where during a few specific games the computer would play it smoothly for about 10-20 minutes before turning off and causing the fans to go to 100%. The weird part was that the games that did this weren't much worse for the computer than the other games that didn't. Also, this computer was able to run those games easily for a year. I fixed that problem by replacing the thermal paste and CPU fan and getting new graphics drivers, but now the problem has returned in a different variation. The computer will play almost any game smoothly easily, but even when it's going smooth, after a while it will just turn off.For example, I just started playing Smite. The game worked for almost an hour before the computer just turned off. The fans didn't turn on like they did before; the computer just turned off.
I have researched this but still haven't found a solution. Do any of you know how to fix this?

Hey, I'm new here, but I have been having trouble with my computer.
Before I start, here are its specs:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
GPU: GeForce GTX 660
MB: Msi Z77 MPOWER
PSU: Seasonic 850W
RAM: Some generic DDR3 RAM I'm too lazy to look up
Maybe a month ago or more it started doing this thing where during a few specific games the computer would play it smoothly for about 10-20 minutes before turning off and causing the fans to go to 100%. The weird part was that the games that did this weren't much worse for the computer than the other games that didn't. Also, this computer was able to run those games easily for a year.
Do any of you know how to fix this?

By looking at your problem I wouldn't know where to blame it on directly.
1.when did you replace your thermal grease. what kind of thermal grease was it ?
2. Did you touch the case on the side and in the back to see if it was humid or hot ?
3.You play hirez smite, what settings do you use for display ?
4.What is your current driver for your gtx 600 card ?
Please list the games that are installed on the c drive or wherver you keep them at.

Lastly I need to know what kind of ram you got ?
Too lazy to open up a case and read the labeling won't help you or me much get this fixed. :|

Come back when you have any info or updates.

What he said lol I've seen similar issues with shut down do to the PS starting to fail or overheat also, when it goes off see how warm it is, if it's really hot it may be filled with a blanket of dust and what not, a lot of things can cause it to shut down.

Check your CPU/GPU temps with HWMonitor, both idle and load temps.

If your computer is shutting down during a game, I'd say its most likely either due to heat or shoddy PSU (like Dauntae said).

By looking at your problem I wouldn't know where to blame it on directly.
1.when did you replace your thermal grease. what kind of thermal grease was it ?
2. Did you touch the case on the side and in the back to see if it was humid or hot ?
3.You play hirez smite, what settings do you use for display ?
4.What is your current driver for your gtx 600 card ?
Please list the games that are installed on the c drive or wherver you keep them at.

Lastly I need to know what kind of ram you got ?
Too lazy to open up a case and read the labeling won't help you or me much get this fixed. :|

Come back when you have any info or updates.

First of all, respect for Metroid. My favorite games series.
1. I replaced it with Arctic Silver 5, before it was just the stock Intel thermal paste.
2. I haven't checked the PSU for heat, but the rest of the parts aren't overheating. I have checked the temps and they are fine.
3. I use the max settings, but my computer should be able to easily run it.
4. I have the most recent driver for my GPU.
I have many games, mostly on Steam. To list them would take a while, but I can say that I have a little over 100 games.

You running anything overclocked? How about some specific load temp numbers please.

When you say replace CPU fan, did you replace the heatsink with a new one or what?

First of all, respect for Metroid. My favorite games series.
1. I replaced it with Arctic Silver 5, before it was just the stock Intel thermal paste.
2. I haven't checked the PSU for heat, but the rest of the parts aren't overheating. I have checked the temps and they are fine.
3. I use the max settings, but my computer should be able to easily run it.
4. I have the most recent driver for my GPU.
I have many games, mostly on Steam. To list them would take a while, but I can say that I have a little over 100 games.

Thanks for the comment on my signature I designed it to show homage to the metroid series.
If I could only get dolphin to play MP2 echoes right on my machine I'd be a happy mofo. >_>
Anyway try this tool here, I used this in the past on windows 7 with a gadget tool.
It should give you a accurate read out of the tempatures whiles it still on.
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility
It sounds like you maybe having a driver or windows problem.
Download system mechanic trial and do a deep scan and see what it reports back to you.
System Mechanic® - PC Tune-Up Software Experts – iolo Technologies

If you have most games at maxium settings including smite try to reduce the resolution and how much graphic details you need.
Nine times out of ten your problems may stop if you dont use maximum settings nonstop.

Thanks for the comment on my signature I designed it to show homage to the metroid series.
If I could only get dolphin to play MP2 echoes right on my machine I'd be a happy mofo. >_>
Anyway try this tool here, I used this in the past on windows 7 with a gadget tool.
It should give you a accurate read out of the tempatures whiles it still on.
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility
It sounds like you maybe having a driver or windows problem.
Download system mechanic trial and do a deep scan and see what it reports back to you.
System Mechanic® - PC Tune-Up Software Experts – iolo Technologies

If you have most games at maxium settings including smite try to reduce the resolution and how much graphic details you need.
Nine times out of ten your problems may stop if you dont use maximum settings nonstop.

Thanks a lot. I have MP2 on my Gamecube, but the disc is scratched so it crashes a lot. Honestly the game isn't the best Metroid game; probably the worst besides Other M, mainly because of its confusing map and progression through the story. I haven't completed it, so I'm not one to ask if it's great though.

Thanks a lot. I have MP2 on my Gamecube, but the disc is scratched so it crashes a lot. Honestly the game isn't the best Metroid game; probably the worst besides Other M, mainly because of its confusing map and progression through the story. I haven't completed it, so I'm not one to ask if it's great though.

LOL MP2 not the best, nah I prefer it over the original and MP3 games in the saga.
Also Other M isn't difficult to navigate, check out a non voice lets play of other m.
If you play fusion again and come back to the other m I think you'll be more gamed to play through other m.
You should try hard mode once you beat it at 100% you'll get your moneys worth.
I know I did..... :devil:

LOL MP2 not the best, nah I prefer it over the original and MP3 games in the saga.
Also Other M isn't difficult to navigate, check out a non voice lets play of other m.
If you play fusion again and come back to the other m I think you'll be more gamed to play through other m.
You should try hard mode once you beat it at 100% you'll get your moneys worth.
I know I did..... :devil:

No I meant MP2 has the bad map and stuff.
I've never played Other M, just heard it was bad.
Fusion and Super Metroid were my favorite, but Zero Mission and MP3 are pretty good too. I've never played MP1 but I really want to...

Back
Top Bottom