hard drive help

sexysam777

Solid State Member
hi i am using windows xp home edition i have put my hard drive from my old machine to my new machine when i started pc it finds new hardware but it does not show up on my computer.

so i went into disk management its on their as dynamic foreign disk when i click on disk there is option saying to format disk and by doing this i will lose all the data on the disk.

I dont want to lose my data how can i get this hard disk to work without losing data i have important stuff on it

Can anyone help me step by step how to fix this please

thanks you

Try assigning a drive letter to it and see if it helps. Below is a guide to how it is done.
How to Change a Drive Letter in Windows XP: 9 Steps

Edit: Misread and saw it's saying a dynamic foreign disk. Pretty much found the same link Joe posted above, currently looking up other solutions. If I find any I'll update.

Edit 2: You can try the old method of using the same HDD back on your old PC, backup all the data, format and transfer it back to the HDD in question.

http://www.alexnolan.net/articles/import_foreign_disks.htm

You can also give this program a try. It's at your own risk though since I haven't personally tested it, not sure if anyone did who can give you a feedback though. I would recommend going with the first option for safety though, second option is a last resort.

http://www.dynamic-disk-converter.com/res/foreign-dynamic-disk.html

Last edited:
1: you need to take down your new computer hard drive, use the old hard disk, whether can into the system, can good, can use the mobile hard disk the data COPY inside out
2: if your old computer can also be used with transfer tool, please put your file transfer to the new computer
3: using usb mobile hard disk COPY file

Try assigning a drive letter to it and see if it helps. Below is a guide to how it is done.
How to Change a Drive Letter in Windows XP: 9 Steps

Edit: Misread and saw it's saying a dynamic foreign disk. Pretty much found the same link Joe posted above, currently looking up other solutions. If I find any I'll update.

Edit 2: You can try the old method of using the same HDD back on your old PC, backup all the data, format and transfer it back to the HDD in question.

Import foreign disks

You can also give this program a try. It's at your own risk though since I haven't personally tested it, not sure if anyone did who can give you a feedback though. I would recommend going with the first option for safety though, second option is a last resort.

Ways to Access Foreign Dynamic Disk
hi iv tried above but no luck

If your data is important, you should try to clone the drive first to another hard drive and then see if you can convert it to a basic disk drive
How to non-destructively convert dynamic disks to basic disks | My PKB

if it screws up the drive, ( because this is the internet and everything is perfect and honest there) you should have a copy of the data on the second drive that you cloned
hi i tried this testdisk analyze the disk when it completes it it says

the following partions cannot be recovered

hpfs-ntfs and some numbers
hpfs-ntfs and some numbers

???

Back
Top Bottom