floppy disk showing in my computer/cd-dvd drive gone

pjhjeanne

Solid State Member
I do not and have never had a floppy drive. However, one shows on "My computer". I went to BIOS and looked to make sure this option is disabled and it is. I tried to uninstall from Device Manager and it will go away but then reappears when I reboot. Also,my CD/DVD drive is missing from devices on "My Computer". When I hit the button to open the door to the drive nothing happens. I am very confused. I need the floppy drive to disappear and my real drive to come back. This is a Windows 7 Home Premium Operating system if that make a difference. Also, I'm pretty much a novice at computer issues so any help you could give me would need to be detailed and would be appreciated. I don't mind you giving me directions like I'm 5 years old, because I feel like that is about my capacity for learning for computer troubleshooting. :)
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the button for the disc drive drawer doesn't work, then make sure that the power cable for the drive is connected securely.

Try a different power cable. When you push the button, can you hear any gears trying to work (maybe it's just stuck?), or does it not respond at all?

Double check in Disk Management to make sure something didn't get it's letter reassigned to A: or B: and for some reason is registering as a floppy now (unlikely, but something to check at least).

Different power cable didn't help. The drive isn't making any sounds at all. Won't open when I put a pin in the hole for manual opening.

Disk management is showing my hard drive HP (C:) listed as Disk 0 - but nothing else Disk 1-4 are empty boxes - no info.

Under Device Manager/ Disk Management, there are 4 USB devices listed and 1 ATA device.

There is also a section in Device Manager for Floppy Disk Drive that I have deleted multiple times, but reappears when I re-boot.

No idea what any of this means - but maybe it will give you some idea of the issue.

Everything else, internet connection, Microsoft Products, etc. are working fine.

If there's no sound at all and a different power cable for your disc drive didn't work, I'd say it's probably bad then. Should be able to get a new one for $20 or so.

As for the floppy drive appearing... are you positive you set the Floppy mode in BIOS to "Disabled" and then saved the configuration?

Just double checked - floppy mode is "disabled" in BIOS.

Would you suggest a USB external drive? I was thinking that would be easy for me to set up since I am not so computer savvy.

Just double checked - floppy mode is "disabled" in BIOS.

Would you suggest a USB external drive? I was thinking that would be easy for me to set up since I am not so computer savvy.

An external drive is fine, yes.

Just disconnect the power/data cables from the non-working internal one.

Are there any other options related to floppy devices in the BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom