Connecting to Networks on Xbox (PLEASE HELP)

TheNon-savvyTechguy

Beta member
So if someone (me) were trying to connect to a network on Xbox 360 and it was connecting the the network but not to the Internet what would they do. It also aloes me to join the network from a phone but has a login in screen where u confirm that u a member of the place. Btw I do not have to login in on PC simply click a button. Please help!

So if someone (me) were trying to connect to a network on Xbox 360 and it was connecting the the network but not to the Internet what would they do. It also aloes me to join the network from a phone but has a login in screen where u confirm that u a member of the place. Btw I do not have to login in on PC simply click a button. Please help!

Grab your mac address from xbox 360 and add it to the network router device list.
If your router doesn't see the xbox 360 mac address on a confirmed list you wont get access to it.

Ask your current administration to add it to the router and then do it again on the os firewall exception list.

Getting Your MAC Address: Xbox 360 - GROK Knowledge Base

Windows Firewall - block/allow incoming connections by MAC Address

Grab your mac address from xbox 360 and add it to the network router device list.
If your router doesn't see the xbox 360 mac address on a confirmed list you wont get access to it.

Ask your current administration to add it to the router and then do it again on the os firewall exception list.

Getting Your MAC Address: Xbox 360 - GROK Knowledge Base

Windows Firewall - block/allow incoming connections by MAC Address

That's assuming OP has MAC filtering setup on the router. If it was indeed MAC filtering, it would just deny him access though, not send him to a login page on a phone. Not sure why you're suggesting tweaking the Windows firewall when he's having issues on an Xbox though...?

Sounds more like he's trying to connect to either a guest network, or something similar (like what hotels have).

@OP: is this your home network?

That's assuming OP has MAC filtering setup on the router. If it was indeed MAC filtering, it would just deny him access though, not send him to a login page on a phone. Not sure why you're suggesting tweaking the Windows firewall when he's having issues on an Xbox though...?
Sounds more like he's trying to connect to either a guest network, or something similar (like what hotels have).

Oh I don't know carnage, last I checked windows firewall and any other firewalls setup on a windows os can block out devices.

Any device that has an internet access and a ip address can be blocked out from the windows firewall.

Not unless you tell the firewall to accept incoming communication with a device wanting to be on your network.

Also yes xbox360s do have mac addresses, just like a wii, 3ds, droid or any mobile or home device.
Why not check the link I hosted up in my last reply and see if that doesn't make sense to you ? :confused:
Thats why I recommend he checked there first and see if it maybe a simple problem like that.
Also I told him to check with the current administration meaning owner of a personal router or company one.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know carnage, last I checked windows firewall and any other firewalls setup on a windows os can block out devices.

Any device that has an internet access and a ip address can be blocked out from the windows firewall.

Not unless you tell the firewall to accept incoming communication with a device wanting to be on your network.
Windows Firewall doesn't control the router or devices on the network - the router's firewall controls the devices on the network. Windows firewall only controls the incoming/outgoing connections on the OS it is on - it does not affect traffic to other devices.

If that wasn't the case, then in order to be running my server I have in my apartment, I would have to turn off Windows Firewall on all of the machines I have in my apartment, rather than just the server. The router firewall has to allow the connections to come first, and then the OS layer has to accept the traffic. So a computer's firewall on a network would have no affect on a video game console's network traffic, unless the computer was a network device that was connected before the router, which it served the traffic to the router rather than the router serving traffic.

Also yes xbox360s do have mac addresses, just like a wii, 3ds, droid or any mobile or home device.
Why not check the link I hosted up in my last reply and see if that doesn't make sense to you ? :confused:
Thats why I recommend he checked there first and see if it maybe a simple problem like that.
Also I told him to check with the current administration meaning owner of a personal router or company one.

I never said they don't have MAC addresses, so not sure where that came from? I know all networking devices has MAC addresses... I just said that it would only be a MAC issue if the router OP is trying to connect to has MAC filtering setup - otherwise putting a MAC on the whitelist won't do diddly.

Windows Firewall doesn't control the router or devices on the network - the router's firewall controls the devices on the network. Windows firewall only controls the incoming/outgoing connections on the OS it is on - it does not affect traffic to other devices.

If that wasn't the case, then in order to be running my server I have in my apartment, I would have to turn off Windows Firewall on all of the machines I have in my apartment, rather than just the server. The router firewall has to allow the connections to come first, and then the OS layer has to accept the traffic. So a computer's firewall on a network would have no affect on a video game console's network traffic, unless the computer was a network device that was connected before the router, which it served the traffic to the router rather than the router serving traffic.

I never said they don't have MAC addresses, so not sure where that came from? I know all networking devices has MAC addresses... I just said that it would only be a MAC issue if the router OP is trying to connect to has MAC filtering setup - otherwise putting a MAC on the white list won't do diddly.

Whatever carnage I didn't come here for the debate club today so chill out.
Lets just wait for the guy to reply and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom