C Drive randomly full!?!

ImSofaKingAwesome

Baseband Member
So I sent my laptop in for repairs. (Geeksquad). After a week or 2, it comes back. After installing steam and GMOD, I attempt to play it. I realize that for some reason Gmod wouldn't load to servers. When I exited out, it said my C drive has 0 MB left and I need to clean it up. What the heck?! So I go to my hard disk drives, and the C drive was already full with only 46.5 GBs. Right next to it is a Data (D:) with 398 GB free with nothing in it. Did they remove my hard drive and put in a horrible weak one? Was I just ripped off? I am extremely confused. I've only used the laptop for a couple hours and now I can't download or play anything!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tech-Forums

ImageUploadedByTech-Forums1406259107.711031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
https://windirstat.info/

Install and run that and see what directory is taking up so much space. If you can't install it on your C: drive, install it on your D: drive where there's space.

Did they reformat your system for you? If so... I'm guessing that they did an "in place" install that left your old install / documents there, but just moved it to C:\Windows.old ; does this folder exist on your C: drive?

I searched for a Windows.old and got nothing. I was able to install the program

Apparently the Windows folder is taking up 22.2 GB, which is the largest file. ImageUploadedByTech-Forums1406260559.392263.jpg

I guess I should have looked at the pic you posted... yeah your C: partition is only 46.5GB??? WTF was GeekSquad doing? Just another reason for you to NOT go to them man... We can help you with pretty much anything here for free ;).

You'll need to either resize your C: partition and take space away from your D: partition... or just completely get rid of the D: partition and allocate all that space to your C: partition. It's mainly up to you on what you want to do. Either way... Get a copy of GParted LiveCD and burn it onto a blank CD: GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions

We have a tutorial here on basic usage: http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

So I sent my laptop in for repairs. (Geeksquad). After a week or 2, it comes back. After installing steam and GMOD, I attempt to play it. I realize that for some reason Gmod wouldn't load to servers. When I exited out, it said my C drive has 0 MB left and I need to clean it up. What the heck?! So I go to my hard disk drives, and the C drive was already full with only 46.5 GBs. Right next to it is a Data (D:) with 398 GB free with nothing in it. Did they remove my hard drive and put in a horrible weak one? Was I just ripped off?

You can do 2 things to verify if you have the correct hard drive.
Open the case panel or hdd panel on the laptop and verify by reading the top of the hard label.
Make sure that is the hard drive your suppose to have.
Another way is cpuid hardware monitor this will verify your hard drive model number currently connected in your machine.

If you don't have the correct hard drive, call up bestbuy geeksquad and speak the supervisor managing the technicians.
Explain to him/her what happen and you would like the hard drive that was suppose to be fixed or a new one.

If they refuse and you have your receipt promptly ask for a full refund.
Explain the issue to them that you told us, that should get any issues cleared up.

Can't you just delete the D partition from within disk management in Administrative tools and then add that to the C partition without having to use a third party program?
I think you can do that in Windows 7

Edit: This:
Can I delete a blank partition and add it to the C drive? - Microsoft Community

As it's been put by another user on here before, "Using the Windows format utility is like using a rusty scalpel for surgery" :p.

I prefer to use GParted for everything because it's faster and just all around better than Disk Management.

But it's up to OP.

Back
Top Bottom