Shelby's Build Thoughts

SHELBYGT

In Runtime
Been wanting to build a computer for the longest time. So i figure hey, why not get some answers/ ideas from the Tech forums? So thats my idea.

My budget on this build will be around $600-800 dollars. I will not build this over night, it will be a ongoing process.

Here is what i want. A machine that can handle moderate video editing/some games (not Battlefield standards but close)

So far this is what i like to have but i have no hands on knowledge when it comes down to building a computer this is where you guys/reading reviews/specs comes in.

Case. I been looking at full tower cases, and read many reviews saying buying a full tower is a smart choice due to the room for expansion of new parts/componet upgrades. But is there anything wrong with a mid size tower? Also i love messing around when it comes to custom parts/fans/lights

Cpu, i been looking and reading information on Cpu's. After careful thought,i believe i might go with intels I5 4460, or the I7 4790.

Gpu, this i have no idea on. I dont want a all in one type gpu. But i also dont need a 4K style. Any opinions?

Motherboard, i like the Asus style and their reviews. I would like a couple of 3.0 usb slots/sd card reader/ 4 channel ram

Ram, after seeing my 8gb of ram get destroyed very easily, i know you really cant go wrong with having to much ram.

Power supply. This has me puzzled. Why? Well first, how do you know if it is compatiable with all your devices. Will any power supply work? I know you have to get the right wattage type. What kind is best. In all seriousness, the more wires/cables the better for me.

Vga?dvi?hdmi? What is the better option?

O.S, i like Windows 7 very well. So i may just stick with it untill further information is released on windows 10.

Hard drives. Well i would like the O.S and other programs on a SSD. Then maybe a 1 Tb Hdd.

What else should i be looking at? What is the first thing to buy?
What advice do i need before stepping in this hobby?

I would like to thank you guys for allowing me to post up :)

The best answer I have is just wait until you have ALL of the cash up front to get the best parts for your money available.

Case: Actually, there's never a point in a full tower unless you have an explicit reason to get one. 4 way SLI, full on water cooling, 8+ HDDs, you get the picture. For a standard build, a midtower is always the better and cheaper option.

CPU: With your budget, an i5 is your best bet.

Motherboard: Don't buy an Asus unless you're getting an H81. You'll regret you ever bought a ridiculously priced Asus board if you ever need their customer service and RMA to get off their asses.

RAM: 8GB get destroyed easily? Where? In your budget, you can't afford 16GB.

PSU: Quality unit. Your budget calls for a Seasonic S1211 620w which will do you well for years.

Any digital connection so DVI HDMI or Display Port. If you want 4k, DP is the best. See GPU later.

120 or 240/250GB SSD + 1TB drive combo is pretty common.

Already answered the next two questions. Buy all at once, it's the best option.

GPU: You don't have the budget for 4K and it's still a baby tech. The highest I'd tell you to go is 1440p. An 800 dollar budget will call for something like a GTX 960.

Thank you. When you say buy all at once, what are you saying? Let me explain/ask some questions.

Where should i buy my parts at? Online? If so, then where? Newegg, tigerdirect,ebay?

Also, if i do buy all of it together, would it be better to buy a DIY computer build from newegg, do online retailers give discounts when you buy all of it at once? If so, then who? Would i buy each part or is there bundles that can be bought?

Ram, adobe effects is what destroyed my 8Gbs of ram.

Last edited:
I'm saying get all your money together and buy all the parts at once.

Newegg or Amazon.

No, just buy the parts yourself. Sometimes you get discounts in the form of bundles but then you have to compromise in specific parts of your build. When you go to buy there will more than likely be something on sale anyways.

I've never had Premier, After Effects, or Vegas use more than 8GB of RAM itself when dealing with 1080p 60fps or 4K video. Like I said though, you don't have the budget that you quoted to get 16GB of RAM. You'll have to deal with 8 now and upgrade later. If you want to do Pro stuff, you need a pro budget. A cheap 16GB kit of RAM is going to cost over 100 itself.

Terrible PSU and GPU.

I love how it says basic PSU.

Go with an i5, you don't need an i7.
Look at my build in my sig, the cpu, mobo and ram will do you good.
PPs suggestion of gpu and psu is good.

I have a mid tower case and it's perfect for my needs as I don't intend to go SLI.
Newegg and amazon will be your best options unless TD has some sales. If you have a microcenter near by, they have some pretty good combos.

WOW. I feel dumb lol, I did not read the wattage rating or the fact that it said basic lol. I am sorry, next suggestion I make I will read it all and not just the title haha

Yeah I can imagine because I smoke cigarettes (I KNOW IT'S HORRIBLE :p) and Basic brand sucks so anything that sounds like the word must suck too lol

Back
Top Bottom