How well will this PC work?

HamboRambo501

Beta member
Hi there I was thinking about buying and building a custom gaming PC. I don't know heaps but I've done a bit of research. I'm looking for a PC that will run most or all games on high settings. I was considering buy these parts:

Motherboard
Asus Z97-A

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600 MHz

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SuperClocked 2GB

System Drive
Crucial M500 120GB Solid State Drive

Storage Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD Burner

Case
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced Mid Tower

Power Supply
XFX PRO 650W Core Edition 80+ Bronze

Will these parts be able to run most games on high settings?
Is this to much and unnecessary?
Will these parts work well together?
plus any other advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Not on a PC so no links ATM but go with either a Seasonic or corsair PS above there economy line, In stead of the 770 just go for a 970, Not much more if any and much more GPU power. If nobody replies I'll add some links when I get home in a hour or so.

Dauntae

If budget is an issue the 970 is about 50 bucks more. You don't need an i7 to game at all and you can simply go with the i5 4690k. I would go with an ASRock Z97 Extreme4 or 6 instead of that Asus board as their customer service is rapidly deteriorating lately.

Instead of the XFX go with a Seasonic 620 S1211 or M211 instead.

Instead of the M500 get a Samsung EVO or M550.

Even though you don't "need" an i7 for gaming, it sure seems to make a difference on some of the newer games that take advantage of multi cores.
I would definitely switch out the Crucial SSD for a Samsung EVO, and I would probably go with at least a 250GB SSD. With the Samsung, the price isn't too much of a difference between the 120 and 250 GB sizes; but the larger space is definitely helpful for gaming.
Other than that, I think everything else should be able to run modern games pretty well.

Gaming doesn't properly utilize HT, so having 4 virtual threads over an i5 doesn't make a difference. The only applicable "gaming" advantage to having an i7 would be streaming but if you have an Nvidia GPU you can use the NV Codec on software like Shadowplay or OBS making needing an i7 moot. The only FPS advantage you may see in benchmarks running an i7 is the higher stock clock and turbo clock compared to the i5 counterparts. The difference usually only being 1 or 2 fps depending on the game in question.

Games that see higher than usual CPU usage also vaguely respond well to more cores. A good example being Watch Dogs. HT on and off in 4 and 6 core variants made no difference in performance or general smoothness, and although CPU usage was higher using 4 cores vs 6 it too made no difference. Considering this is a game purposely made to bring down higher end PCs to be more comparable to consoles I'd say this is saying something.

You would think that some of the 2014 games out there would properly take advantage of HT. I thought that some of the new First Person Shooter games also responded well to more cores, such as Call of Duty and Battlefield though.

HT only adds virtual threading which with the way HT is designed there isn't a proper way to utilize the tech in gaming. Due to the same principle (basically resource sharing) AMD has a serious lack of single threaded performance and lacks power compared to Intel in games. You also have to take into consideration that a lot of programs being developed even in 2014 aren't made to properly utilize a real multi-threaded environment. In this case software is seriously lacking, but with the way things are going the CPU will become less relevant as the years go on.

Thanks for the advice I've decided to go with.

Mother Board
ASRock Z97 Extreme 4
CPU
Intel i5 4690K
CPU Cooler
Cooler master hyper 212 evo
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 8GB 1600 MHz
Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked 4GB ACX
System Drive
Samsung EVO 120GB
Storage Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD Burner
Case
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced Mid Tower
Power Supply
Seasonic M2II 520W

One more question. Which OS is better for gaming windows 7 or 8.1?

IMO, I would have to say Windows 8.1.
However if you didn't want to deal with the new interface, then sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 10 comes out should be okay.

Depends on your preference honestly as one is just as "good" as the other at gaming. Go with 7 and you don't need a 3rd party app to bypass Metro UI. Go with 8.1 and there's a possibility you'll get 10 for free next year.

Back
Top Bottom