Here it goes | build

Slacker

Slacking Guru
I am looking to build two computers. I do not need them maxed out. That said I am looking to build one that is setup for a VM lab and one as my user. I currently have a HP pavilion G7 series laptop with an i3 2.4ghz arrandale chip, maxed at 8gb of ram. 500GB HD , I also have an HP desktop with an AMD A6 3650 chip in it. 8GB of ram and 2.5 TB spread over 4 drives(it is my Frankenstein)

So here I am.. boxed in from making any upgrades with the two machines I currently own. I again am not looking for a machine that will be maxed after I build it.. but have room to expand. I was thinking for the everyday user of going with an i5.. which started another debate with myself.. do I need the k model or not.. but since this about room to expand.. I may not overclock now but 4 years from now.... etc.....

I have rambled long enough. I do not need monitors but will need to factor in
cost of OS. I was hoping to stay in or around the 1500.00 mark.

Re: Here it goes

I'll reply when I'm done with grocery shopping. 1500 can buy you quite a bit of PC. Purchasing from Newegg? Also, you say everyday user. Does that include gaming, or productivity?

I am shopping at any place my USD goes further.

It will be within the next weeks.. Just waiting for the piggy bank to squeal.

I was wanting to split it up into 2 computers. 1 for everyday production and another kinda like hulk hogan and macho man made a server. So I could install hyper-v or some other form of vm software and loose myself in VM land.. What is the best board that holds the most memory? That and I was thinking maybe AMD 8 or 16 core processor... More importantly I will wait for your thoughts lol

You're limited to 32GB unless you go socket 2011 or server grade. With your budget you could get a 4930k or a used 3930k and grab yourself an ASRock Extreme6 X79 like my own and then load it up with RAM. If you're not gaming on this setup then you won't need much in terms of a case, PSU, or GPU.

If you want more than 6 real cores you'll need to go server side which can be real pricey.

For the every day I would just use what you have right now. Since the APU HP is a desktop you could put an SSD in it and be fine for usual browsing and whatnot.

a few questions..

i7 does not come with a cooler... would a normal heat sink work>?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939
20 bucks cheaper for Ivy

SSD I have seen a bunch of emails from newegg about the different SSD on sale.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EMC-050914-Index-_-SSD-_-9SIA2W00ZD1390-L029D
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0914-_-EMC-050914-Index-_-SSD-_-20228074-L04B
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0914-_-EMC-050914-Index-_-SSD-_-20178456-L03D

What separates SSD? HDD it was rpm/transfer I have not really researched SSD much..

Also no on board video I would need to throw in some kind of graphic card?

forgive me if some of these are basic... just who I am

Last edited:

Yea Ivy is cheaper, supply and demand, yada yada, that's why I said used lol. You can find some 3930k chips on ebay for 300 bucks. I know I've seen my 3960x as low as 600 but they're practically the same chip. Up to you.

If you plan to run 100% stock this EVO would work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-103-099

Although with the amount of cash you're putting down I would go with either of these two with some Scythe GTs or Noctua fans for silence.
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) Water Cooler - Newegg.com
CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i Water Cooler - Newegg.com

SSD is a whole different ballpark. What separates them is IOPS and quality basically since pretty much all good SATA3 SSDs fill the bus. (Yes that's 550MB/s both ways) Basically you want whoever is made to take the most abuse for the longest period of time while doing it the fastest. Most better quality SSDs these days actually have a higher potential lifespan than even platter drives. The price you pay for performance is still unfortunately very high but extremely worth it.

If you're not gaming and this is for your everyday use PC I suggest this bad boy. If you want the 240 version for the bigger machine I also suggest the EVO or the Intel 730 (for VMs)
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

idk.. no debate that would take flight but... but Idk.. feels like i would be wasting resources with that.. what is the difference between a base server board and the socket 2011 boards?

Take a look yourself.

This is the cheapest 2011 server board.
SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F ATX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com

This is my board I was referring to earlier.
ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

A true server board is wasted on what you want to do unless you want to go AMD for more cores. Much slower cores though, but more for VMs I guess. The cheapest 6 core Xeon is 400 bucks but also almost a full GHz slower than the consumer 4930k.

If you went AMD it would be cheaper with more cores but slower cores.
AMD Opteron 4386 Seoul 3.1GHz 8MB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache Socket C32 95W 8-Core Server Processor OS4386WLU8KHKWOF - Newegg.com

Single or dual socket configs.
SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SCM Micro ATX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com
SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SCM Micro ATX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com

Idk though for a file server all of this is pretty damn pricey and IMO a waste.

I missed this post! going to review the boards in a moment.

I wanted to make the current desktop into a file server and then build my new pc. I am looking for something that would allow me to build VM's as well as be my daily user. That said I am still kicking it around....

So... I decided to hold off on building the master VM machine for now.. I have decided to keep saving and further research/decide what I really want from it.

I did decide to spend a couple bucks and upgrade the desktop.

I selected GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM2+ - GA-F2A88XM-D3H (rev. 3.0)
as a mobo and an AMD A10 Richland 6800k ...
I am using the old case and PS.

I ran into two issues the front panel connectors and the cpu atx power plug on the board. like a tard I missed the fact that it was an 8 pin plug. Is there any after market extensions.. or should I be looking for a while new ps? If so have a suggestion.

The front panel.. none of the connections match and the cpu fan is 3 pin plug and 4 on mobo.... Thanks in advance guys

Back
Top Bottom