Hear screeching, preparing for death

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Been woken up from the screeching several times and decided to finally switch it out before it goes on me since I can currently afford it. I haven't double checked what it is yet, but I have a gut feeling it is the HDD.

I use sleep mode extensively and in the past it was defaulted to hybrid-sleep. After recently installing a GTX970 and figuring out issues I was having about not being able to recover from sleep mode due to driver issues (thanks Nvidia), I was finally able to use it again. First time I tested it and resumed from sleep, I heard it in all its horror. Screeching the entire time trying to read the saved-state from the HDD, took roughly 10 minutes to finally load everything and run normally and the screeching to stop.

I know it isn't the GPU (as I have recently installed it) as it has been doing it for close to a year now. Waking up to it tonight was it though, want to switch it out.

I am planning on getting an SSD for the OS and any major program I may need (UDK/Unity/Autodesk 3DSMax) as well as 2 internal HDD's.

My current issues:
1 - I no longer have my burned copy of a Windows Ultimate 7 64 bit digital purchase I had and can no longer access the purchase history.
Been searching and I eventually ran into this here:
I do not have Windows 7 media but I do have my product key. How do I - Microsoft Community

I am assuming it is safe, could I use that to make another copy of the install CD and freshly install Windows 7 ultimate on the new SSD?

2 - Any brands for the HDD or SSD I should look for? I know to get a 7200 RPM HDD, but what else am I looking for exactly?

Currently looking at:
SSD
Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM): Computers & Accessories
(free shipping)
HDD
primary use -
Amazon.com: Western Digital 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black, WD2003FZEX: Computers & Accessories

Secondary Use/backup -
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-...rd+drive&pebp=1422794615784&peasin=B0088PUEPK

These seem good to you guys? Looks like price cuts may end February 1st, so will need to put in order tonight if yes. Also, will I still be alright power wise if I have 1 SSD and 2 HDDs attached?

i5 3570k Ivy bridge 3.4GHz
ASRockZ75 Pro3 LGA
Patriot Viper 3 8 GB 2 x 4GB (x2)
EVGA GTX970 SC ACX 2.0
A samsung optical drive

PSU: Corsair TX650

Thanks for any assistance.

(Newegg has them for the same price [minus shipping for SSD] but I have the CC with amazon. Might as well abuse it.)

Last edited:
Have you put your ear right on the HDD to make absolutely certain that's it? Does it do it just on sleep wake up, or have you shut your PC down to see if it does it then too?

Have you put your ear right on the HDD to make absolutely certain that's it? Does it do it just on sleep wake up, or have you shut your PC down to see if it does it then too?

No I have not ensured it is the HDD. It is a bit random but I noticed it happened much more frequently when it was still in sleep mode (hybrid-sleep) and when the HDD was a bit more full. Was sitting at 80GB left at one point, freeing it back up to 200GB seemed to have an effect.

I also ran a CHKDSK(?) and it made the noise during that time on and off.
I unfortunately can't recall if it happened on start up when the HDD was close to full, wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I can re-install a bunch of steam games again and put my ear to it and see.

What I'd do is put it in another machine and test it. Do a HDD test on it or scandisk.

If it is indeed the HDD might I ask what brand and model it is annnnd your selections above are fine.

What I'd do is put it in another machine and test it. Do a HDD test on it or scandisk.

If it is indeed the HDD might I ask what brand and model it is annnnd your selections above are fine.

I don't have another machine capable. This is the only PC I have. I got a bud whom may let me use his PC but there is currently a blizzard 'like' condition in my area and also work soon (unless they call not to come in or if I can even make it out of the driveway).

Any other ways to check besides a 2nd machine which are reliable?
Otherwise I will just try the Hybrid-sleep thing as it supposedly saves the state (work) onto the HDD and reads it back on resume. That has the highest chance of creating the noise so I can listen to the HDD with an open case.

As for the brand and model of the drive:
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

Oh it's a Green, that doesn't surprise me much.

Idk do the test but I'd order the SSD regardless.

Eh? It's a green? I clicked on the "Newer version of this item" just out of curiosity.. came out purple. Didn't know they had purple. Wouldn't surprise me if I goofed on the HDD when I first put this together as I knew a hell of a lot less back then :p

Anyways, yea I'll still get the SSD regardless of the HDD's status. I also do need another HDD anyways so I'll place the order tonight and just have my current drive be the secondary one. Will just save me from buying a 3rd I guess if all is well.

Yea before the Purple came out their AV/DVR drives were just Green drives. They are meant to stay on and be written to 24/7 which is probably why it got damaged the way it did.

Yea before the Purple came out their AV/DVR drives were just Green drives. They are meant to stay on and be written to 24/7 which is probably why it got damaged the way it did.

That makes sense explaining the original HDD's purpose. Just finished shoveling a crap ton of snow and heading to work so can't test until later tonight.

Now knowing that the HDD is a green drive meant to stay on, do you believe the chance of it being damaged is greater and best to just replace it with a proper one for my purposes?

Back
Top Bottom